Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone,

It's taken me some time to choose the best forum for this question, so I hope I have. =)

Don't let the title mislead you. I am not looking for the usual "use "the" when you talk about something the listener knows" things. I am trying to make a webpage for my upper-intermediate students where they can get the theoretical stuff behind English articles. What I am looking for is resources to help me with it. More specifically, I am interested in things like how articles are used depending on the context and perspective (listener/speaker). Each of these can be answered very simply - or it can be answered in a mind-boggling way with a lot of attention to detail. The latter is what I am looking for to help me to sort out my understanding of it.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is not an appropriate first post)

Snakiest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Japan
Hi

Thanks, but this is not what I need. I want some deep theoretical stuff on articles. Such charts are overly simplified and are not good for learners whose language has no articles (Japanese in my case). I find higher level students benefit a lot from the in-depth discussion of articles and their functions, but now I want to sort of summarize the things I have taught so far for them. I need the resources to check myself and, maybe, understand a few things better.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am still a big fan of R.A. Close's A Teachers' Grammar and its holistic approach to teaching grammar. The chapter on articles is just 17 pages long but offers quite a few points to discuss. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.