Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The way it is used now, only Americans use the "e." Canadian, Scotch, Irish all are "whisky."

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
The way it is used now, only Americans use the "e." Canadian, Scotch, Irish all are "whisky."

I saw only Americans and Irish call it whiskey, while Scottish, Canadian and Japanese producers use the word whisky but will double check it later.

But Scotch is only called and spelled whisky, as Rover said.

Good job I prefer beer, won’t get myself into trouble anywhere, or there can be variations too? I hope not.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Apparently, we have a lot of drinkers on this forum.
;-)

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From what I have seen on the Internet “On the rocks” in the past had nothing to do with ice, but with pebbles from the Scottish rivers which would cool whiskey without diluting it. Sounds about right but I am not an expert.

Always take such factoids culled from the Internet with a grain of salt. Other than my factoids, of course! :-D The phrase "on the rocks" to describe a beverage served with ice was coined circa 1946 and is American in original In the early part of the 20th century, barbaric Americans traditionally drank their Scotch in the form of a highball - scotch mixed with seltzer water and ice. As our palates slowly became more sophisticated, we learned that soda water diluted the flavor too much. So those sophisticates who were trying to capture the taste of Scotch as God and some distiller in Aberdeen intended started ordering their whiskey "on the rocks" to indicate they wanted ice but no water.

Of course, any upright whiskey-drinkin' American knows that bourbon is made to be served "neat" - no ice. It's made to be sipped.

Um, not that I ever drink the stuff, of course. :drinking:

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Never heard of seltzer water, had to look it up. To my relief it had nothing to do with Alka-Seltzer (I buy here sparkling water).
In Aberdeenshire they served whisky with a jug (pitcher) of spring water. It makes me think now.
Apparently 50%-60% whisky can numb the taste buds to that extend that our sense of taste is massively impaired, and hence the water – to dilute. Perhaps it is only, just in case, for those who cannot drink at full strength, or it’s a Scottish thing, I don’t know.

Either way, from now on I will not be giving whisk(e)y a bad name any more. :)

I hope bourbon is not sipped straight from the barrel. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We drink bourbon for medicinal purposes only. :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In Aberdeenshire they served whisky with a jug (pitcher) of spring water. It makes me think now.

I'm not a whisk[e]y drinker and was once corrected by some connoisseurs for adding ice; they suggested I should only add a bit of water to release the flavour and that I was ruining it with ice.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not a whisk[e]y drinker and was once corrected by some connoisseurs for adding ice; they suggested I should only add a bit of water to release the flavour and that I was ruining it with ice.

I hope that was friendly advice. If a stranger thought to correct me on my drinking habits, I wouldn't take to kindly to that.

Americans like ice in their drinks. I like some bourbon from time to time. When it's cold, it slides down the gullet easier.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And it is better to swallow an ice cube than a pebble. :up:

Auldlangsyne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
And it is better to swallow an ice cube than a pebble. :up:

Don’t do this! If our body’s major component is water, you will get clogged. See the imagines of the Hudson River, the same will happen with the ice cubes in your gullet.

(I have seen people living with stones, never with ice cubes.)

;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The body is 60-70% water; 0% pebbles.