Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hi, friends. What could "cavernous" mean in this context. Thesaurus.com brings some 20 synonyms, but I can't choose a suitable one.:-?
Here is the sentence where it is used:
"I endeavored to shriek; and my lips and my parched tongue moved convulsively together in the attempt — but no voice issued from the cavernous lungs, which, oppressed as if by the weight of some incumbent mountain, gasped and palpitated, with the heart, at every elaborate and struggling inspiration." (http://poestories.com/read/premature)
Maybe "deaf" or "tuneless" could be an option?

Last edited:

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
It means cavelike in the simplest explanation of the meaning, but if you want to use a simple way to describe what Poe is trying to say, then large lungs or perhaps voluminous lungs is closer to what you need.

Deaf or Tuneless do not work, he is describing the fact that the lungs lack the ability to breathe due to the fear the protagonist of the story feels.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
It means cavelike in the simplest explanation of the meaning, but if you want to use a simple way to describe what Poe is trying to say, then large lungs or perhaps voluminous lungs is closer to what you need.

Deaf or Tuneless do not work, he is describing the fact that the lungs lack the ability to breathe due to the fear the protagonist of the story feels.
I think voluminous is better, Mrfatso. Thank you.

Bloomsbury

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, voluminous.
Or "big" or "large" if you want to keep it simple!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It also suggests to me that the person would normally have been able to shriek very loudly because of this lung capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.