Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi to everyone! I am working on a motivation letter for university.
I would be grateful if someone could check my grammar. It's the first time I write something like this, so any comment on the content side is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to be considered for admission into the Bachelor of Industrial Sciences at the Catholic University of Leuven, with particular interest in the Electronic and Electromechanical graduation track.

The genuine amazement I experience when coming across innovative technologies, along with a keen interest in understanding how they work and their applications, are key to my decision of studying Engineering. Throughout secondary education I developed an inquisitive attitude and a passion for problem solving, that inclined me towards scientific disciplines. Electricity and magnetism, above all subjects, captured my interest and pushed me to complement Physics classes with more advanced academic textbooks, such as “Fundamentals of physics”, by Halliday, Resnik and Walker. Equipped with the knowledge acquired from lessons and self-study, I also tested myself with some basic circuitry that reinforced my theoretical notions while providing useful hands-on experience. My interest in the field of electronics was ultimately confirmed when in February 2015 I took part in a project organized by Bicocca University, Milan, where I built and tested a photoelectrochemical cell, known as Grätzel cell.

As a future engineer, I see myself at the forefront of technological innovation, carrying out cutting-edge research in order to contribute to the advancement of society. Fully aware of the large set of competencies that a career in engineering requires, I am already exercising my group leading, organizational and communication skills thanks to my position of class president. These abilities were successfully tested in March 2014, when I was elected group leader to guide my class in a bioethics project centred on cerebral death and xenotransplantation. At the same time, as an amateur webmaster I learnt how to go through an effective design process and how to tackle problems logically. Learning web languages such as HTML, CSS and PHP on my own also made me a well organized independent learner and strengthened my perseverance in overcoming obstacles without assistance.

Outside the academic context, I am keen on learning about foreign cultures and exchanging ideas with people from different backgrounds. As a result, I enjoy travelling and understanding how dissimilar environments result in different traditions and social behaviours. During the summer 2014 I spent 3 months in to North America visiting Canada and United States, where the numerous friendships I established with native citizens highly enriched my cultural background and significantly broadened my horizons.

The Catholic University of Leuven, with its multicultural atmosphere and research-oriented policy, is the perfect environment to stimulate my interest and curiosity. I am confident that the program will act as a solid foundation for future studies, not only providing a strong theoretical basis, but also shaping me as a well-rounded engineer.

Thank you for considering my application, I look forward to your acceptance.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to be considered for admission into the Bachelor of Industrial Sciences at the Catholic University of Leuven, with particular interest in the Electronic and Electromechanical graduation track.

The genuine amazement I experience when [STRIKE]coming across[/STRIKE] encountering innovative technologies, along with [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] my keen interest in understanding how they work and their applications, are key to my decision [STRIKE]of studying[/STRIKE] to study Engineering. Throughout secondary education I developed an inquisitive attitude and a passion for problem solving, and that inclined me towards scientific disciplines. Electricity and magnetism, above all subjects, captured my interest and pushed me to complement my physics classes with more advanced academic textbooks, such as “Fundamentals of physics”, by Halliday, Resnik and Walker. Equipped with the knowledge acquired from lessons and self-study, I also tested [STRIKE]myself [/STRIKE] my knowledge with some basic circuitry that reinforced my theoretical understanding [STRIKE]notions[/STRIKE] while providing useful hands-on experience. My interest in the field of electronics was ultimately confirmed when in February 2015, I took part in a project organized by Bicocca University, Milan, where I built and tested a photoelectrochemical cell, known as a Grätzel cell.

As a future engineer, I see myself at the forefront of technological innovation, carrying out cutting-edge research in order to contribute to the advancement of society. Fully aware of the large set of competencies that a career in engineering requires, I am already exercising my group leading, organizational and communication skills thanks to my position of class president. These abilities [STRIKE]were successfully tested[/STRIKE] greatly helped me, in March 2014 when I was elected group leader to guide my class in a bioethics project centred on cerebral death and xenotransplantation. At the same time, as an amateur webmaster I learnt how to go through an effective web design process and how to tackle problems logically. Learning web languages such as HTML, CSS and PHP on my own also made me a well organized, independent learner and strengthened my perseverance in overcoming obstacles without assistance.

Outside the academic context, I am keen on learning about foreign cultures and exchanging ideas with people from different backgrounds. As a result, I enjoy traveling and understanding how dissimilar environments result in different traditions and social behaviours. During the summer of 2014 I spent 3 months in [STRIKE]to [/STRIKE]North America visiting Canada and the United States, where the numerous friendships I established with [STRIKE]native citizens[/STRIKE] people there highly enriched my cultural understanding [STRIKE]background[/STRIKE] and significantly broadened my horizons.

The Catholic University of Leuven, with its multicultural atmosphere and research-oriented policy, is the perfect environment to stimulate my interest and curiosity. I am confident that the program will act as a solid foundation for my future studies, not only providing a strong theoretical basis, but also shaping me as a well-rounded engineer.

Thank you for considering my application, and I look forward to your reply[STRIKE]acceptance[/STRIKE].

Last edited:

simon.rubi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for the quick response teechar!
Can I ask you an opinion about the content?

PS: any other suggestions are welcome! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.