Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

I'm not sure, if this in the right place but I'm having some trouble identifying the literary devices in the following sentences :

1. "Running as one."
  2. "Light up the night."

So far, I've come up with that they are both using imagery. There's rhyming in the second sentence. However, I sense there are more specific devices with regards to those two sentences. Would really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Are they literally running as one? How is that possible?
2 Are we talking about electric lights or the emotion caused by a performance? If it's the second, then is it a literal use? If not, what's that called?
BTW, that's not a rhyme- a rhyme is where different lines of poetry end with the same sounds. You might want to look up alliteration and assonance.

TwistedTea

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1 Are they literally running as one? How is that possible?
2 Are we talking about electric lights or the emotion caused by a performance? If it's the second, then is it a literal use? If not, what's that called?
BTW, that's not a rhyme- a rhyme is where different lines of poetry end with the same sounds. You might want to look up alliteration and assonance.

Hey Tdol,

Thanks for replying.

1. "Running as one." This is referring to people running together for a charity event.

2. "Light up the night." Also with regards to the charity event, this is referring to participants lighting up the lives of beneficiaries by participating/donating to the event.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Exactly, so try looking up this word.

But remember that criticism comes from the heart and the gut. I did know what lighting up the night meant without the context. Have the certainty to know that what you really feel is what matters. Literary devices are simply means to make people feel something more strongly- they don't exist in a classroom vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.