Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hi, people. Could you suggest another synonym of "suffer" that will suit the given context? What I have in mind is "subjected to" or "condemned to." Do you agree with my options?

"Alas! the grim legion of sepulchral terrors cannot be regarded as altogether fanciful — but, like the Demons in whose company Afrasiab made his voyage down the Oxus, they must sleep, or they will devour us — they must be suffered
to slumber, or we perish."
(http://poestories.com/read/premature)

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about simply "made to"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

"There are moments when, even to the sober eye of Reason, the world of our sad Humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell – but the imagination of man is no Carathis, to explore with impunity its every cavern. Alas! the grim legion of sepulchral terrors cannot be regarded as altogether fanciful — but, like the Demons in whose company Afrasiab made his voyage down the Oxus, they must sleep, or they will devour us — they must be suffered to slumber, or we perish."

As the sentence preceding the OP's quoted passage seems to be warning against investigating the dark corners of our humanity too thoroughly, and thereby disturbing various demons, perhaps "they must be allowed to slumber" is what's intended.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
not a teacher

"There are moments when, even to the sober eye of Reason, the world of our sad Humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell – but the imagination of man is no Carathis, to explore with impunity its every cavern. Alas! the grim legion of sepulchral terrors cannot be regarded as altogether fanciful — but, like the Demons in whose company Afrasiab made his voyage down the Oxus, they must sleep, or they will devour us — they must be suffered to slumber, or we perish."

As the sentence preceding the OP's quoted passage seems to be warning against investigating the dark corners of our humanity too thoroughly, and thereby disturbing various demons, perhaps "they must be allowed to slumber" is what's intended.
Or maybe "they must be left to sleep."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me, "to suffer" someone to do something means "to permit or allow" him or her to do so, usually reluctantly. It is an antiquated usage.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
To me, "to suffer" someone to do something means "to permit or allow" him or her to do so, usually reluctantly. It is an antiquated usage.
That is what I meant when I suggested "condemned to" in my original post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The only example that comes to mind reading the thread is Jesus' Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suffer as it's used there is old-fashioned, maybe even somewhat archaic. But it's not wrong. To suffer someone to do something is to allow it or put up with it, but not to like it, want it, or encourage it.

Shakespeare: "The eagle suffers little birds to sing."

My vote: it's fine as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.