HardRock Guest

Default Highly Urgent !!!

My purpose is to show how The Hero, Christy, developed as a story-teller from a person who is not aware of his poetic capabilities. I would appreciate any comment within 6 hours coz I have to submit it .Since it is an exercise of product writing, I would appreciate highly the comments about the grammar.

One of the outstanding characteristics of the hero of the Playboy of The Western World is his newly found poetic abilities.

When Christy first enters the shebeen, he is “very tired, frightened, and dirty”; and speaks “a small voice.” Christy attempts to involve his listeners (audience: Michael, Pegeen, Philly, and Jimmy) in the story he is narrating about his grave deed (patricide). This technique is used by professional story-tellers. Upon seeing his audience tired and unable to guess what he has committed, he provides them with the answer. He tells them half the story leaving them to guess what is the tool he has carried out the crime with. The second suspense-evoking guessing game starts .Every one of the audience participates in this game .Although the poetic side of Christy is conspicuous from the very beginning, he uses a poor language.

Juxtaposing what he has said in the beginning of Act I to Pegeen, her father, Philly, and Jimmy about his father and what he says to Pegeen at the end of the same Act would show how poorly he spoke evident. He tells them that his father “was a dirty man, God forgive him, and he getting old and crusty, the way I couldn’t put up with him at all.” Shortly afterwards, when he feels safe , he says to Pegeen, who encourages him to show his poetic style, telling her about his father “ It’s that you’d say surely if you seen him and he after drinking for weeks, rising up in the red dawn, or before it may be ,and going out into the yard as naked as an ash-tree in the moon of May, and shying clods against the visage of the stars he’d till put the fear of death into the banbhs and the screeching sows.” He uses similes and exaggeration, which are associated with poets.

His poetic abilities appear to us more prominent now after his meeting with Pegeen. He says, “I’ve seen none the like of you the eleven long days I am walking … into stony, scattered fields, or scribes of bog, where you’d young, limber girls …”He uses alliteration (the repetition of the same sounds in the beginning of words). She encourages him saying; “I’ve heard all times it’s the poets are your like-fine, fiery fellows with great rages when their temper’s roused.”The praise which he had received previously from Pegeen’s words now produce their effect on him as is clear from his reply that he is “a seemly fellow with great strength in him and great bravery too.” This is the first sign that Christy gives of having been influenced by whatever has been said in praise of him. Upon finding that the two women, Pegeen and Widow Queen are fighting over him, he is so happy and satisfied. He even feels that if he had killed his father sooner, good fortune would smile on him long before: “Two fine women fighting for the likes of me – till I’m thinking this night wasn’t I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in the years gone by.”

The village girls who have come in a group to see the man “who did destroy his da” strengthen a new feeling of self-importance in him. These girls brought presents for him – duck’s eggs, butter, cake, and a boiled hen. Then Widow Queen invites Christy to tell her and the girls the story of how he had killed his father. He begins his account of murdering his father. Now we find another change in Christy. He becomes quite eloquent as he gives his account of the incident, and he goes into details. He tells them that his father had raised his scythe to attack him but that he had saved himself with leaping to the east. He had then turned around with his back to the north and hit a blow on the ridge of his father’s skull, and in this way “split his father to the knob of his gullet.” Acknowledging his poetic style, Susan says, “That’s a grand story.” while Honor says, “He tells it lovely.”

He becomes a real poet when he speaks to Pegeen in the love-scene when he returns from the competition. His manner of talking is ardent and passionate, and he compares her to Lady Helen of Troy. He speaks of “squeezing kisses on her puckered lips.” He speaks of their wandering together, drinking water from a well, and “making mighty kisses with their wetted mouths”. He tells her that he would like to worship even the straws of her cottage and every stone that lies on the path to her door.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

When Christy first enters the shebeen, he is “very tired, frightened, and dirty”; and speaks “a small voice.”

IN a small voice?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

to guess what is the tool he has carried out the crime with

I'd change the position of 'is' as it's an embedded question and say:

to guess what the tool he has carried out the crime with is

If you think it's too far removed from the word 'tool', you could do it as follows:

to guess what the tool is which he carried the murder out with.

I've got to go out, but I'll be back in a bit and add some more comments if they're any use.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Every one of the audience

Everyone IN the audience

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Juxtaposing what he has said in the beginning of Act I to Pegeen, her father, Philly, and Jimmy about his father and what he says to Pegeen at the end of the same Act would show how poorly he spoke evident.
    I'd say 'evidently' and add a comma or two.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Highly Urgent !!!

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock
    Although the poetic side of Christy is conspicuous from the very beginning, he uses a poor language.
    I think it would be better to say he uses language badly, but that wouldn't make sense unless you mean to say that his attempts at poetry are bad ones. A poet that uses language badly wouldn't be much of a poet.

What is product writing?

:)

HardRock Guest

What is product writing?

:)[/quote]

Product Writing is simply the opposite of process writing. In a process writing ,we read ,write, rewrite, revise … going through an endless steps and stages such as , writing first draft , second draft ,third draft , fourth draft etc till either you are satisfied with your outcome or tired of it and give up. In the contrary, product writing is one step or stage .You get the topic you will write about and then write an essay. It is just like writing an essay in an exam. You don’t have time to write and rewrite and think and rethink. That ‘s an old type of writing because most scholars now believe writing to be a process. I hope you get it ! :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock
    Product Writing is simply the opposite of process writing. In a process writing ,we read ,write, rewrite, revise going through an endless steps and stages such as , writing first draft , second draft ,third draft , fourth draft etc till either you are satisfied with your outcome or tired of it and give up. In the contrary, product writing is one step or stage .You get the topic you will write about and then write an essay. It is just like writing an essay in an exam. You dont have time to write and rewrite and think and rethink. That s an old type of writing because most scholars now believe writing to be a process. I hope you get it ! :wink:
    I don't think the two things are exactly opposites. As I see it, they just want you to come up with the final product without giving you a chance to do a lot of revising. Writers who undertake all those revisions do so because of their goal: the best possible writing. Thus, all writing is about product.

Did our suggestions prove helpful?

HardRock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

Did our suggestions prove helpful?

Surely, it did .

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other