• Post Thanks / Like

"drop", "get down from" and "warded"

I came across the following sentences in one of Harold Robbins' novels:

1. He told the driver to drop him at the corner.

2. You may drop me at the hospital later.

3. The driver got down from the truck.

They are not part of conversations. I have learnt that when it comes to setting someone down (from a vehicle), we do not say "drop someone", rather, "drop someone off". Similarly, I have been told that someone "gets off (from)" the bus, truck and lorry but never "get down from". Hence, could someone tell why Harold Robbins had used "drop" and "get down" in the aforesaid manner?

I came across the following sentence in one of P.D.James' novels:

4. "...But she shouldn't have left the ward. It was stupid. She had a temperature at 103.8 whe she was warded."

The author had used "warded" synonymously with "hospitalised". Is this right?

I do not know whether it is a coincidence, but interestingly, all the above usages ("drop someone", "get down from" and "warded") are Singlish

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "drop", "get down from" and "warded"

Sometimes people will simply say "drop me at the corner" instead of "drop me off at the corner." It's an abbreviated form of the phrase.

If someone is exiting a very tall vehicle, such as an 18-wheel truck, they may say that they "got down" from the truck, since it is so much higher off the ground than a regular vehicle.