Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Helped Wanted Guest

Default Do we need to change the words in ( ) to plural forms? thx

In future, students will not need to carry books to school. They will just bring a notebook ( or notebooks? ) to school.

Similary,

In future, people will do shopping at home. They will buy things ( through or on?) the television and a robot ( robots? ) will deliver the things to their (home or homes?)

Sorry for posting such silly questions. Thanks for helping again, teachers!

(T_T)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In future, people will do shopping at home. They will buy things through (or via) the television and a robots will deliver the things to their (home or homes?

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In future, people will do shopping at home. They will buy things through (or via) the television and a robots will deliver the things to their (home or homes?

Could I add something please?

In "the future"? "robots"?

I would eliminate "the" and use "goods", "products", or "merchandise" in place of "things" in this particular example.

Helped Wanted Guest

Thank you, teachers. What about using "a robot" or "robots" and "home" or "homes" in the latter part of the sentence? Thanks for helping again! T_T

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thank you, teachers. What about using "a robot" or "robots" and "home" or "homes" in the latter part of the sentence? Thanks for helping again! T_T

You could say "a robot" and "their home" in order to refer to all "robots" and all "homes" collectively, but I think it makes more sense to use the plural forms here. I would say "robots" and "their homes" in this sentence.

Helped Wanted Guest

Thanks for helping again, CitySpeak! ^o^

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thanks for helping again, CitySpeak! ^o^
    So, just to be clear, let's see what we finally have here.

In the future, people will do their shopping at home. They will buy things via the television, and robots will deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes.

Keep in mind that you can use "purchase" in place of "buy". If this is an essay or some sort of formal discourse, the verb "purchase" might work better than "buy".

They will purchase products via the television, and robots will deliver them directly to their homes.

For "buy" we also have the phrase "make a purchase".

We could say "They will make purchases via the television."

"make a purchase"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+a+purchase%22

8) 8)

Helped Wanted Guest

Thanks for helping again and again, CitySpeak! Is it right to add in a few words there in the sentence as in:

In the future, people will do their shopping at home. They will buy things via the television, and there will be robots to deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes.

Is it OK to add a few extra words in there?

PLUS I've got another sentence that needs corrections. Please advise too! Sorry for the hassle, teachers!

When I was a little girl, I already loved painting and drawing. So I made up my mind to be a fashion designer in the future.

Helped Wanted Guest

Thanks for helping again and again, CitySpeak! Is it right to add in a few words there in the sentence as in:

In the future, people will do their shopping at home. They will buy things via the television, and there will be robots to deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes

PLUS, I've got another sentence that needs corrections. Please advise too! Sorry for the hassle, teachers!

When I was a little girl, I already loved painting and drawing, so I made up my mind to be a fashion designer in the future.

Please correct if there's any mistakes. Thanks again! T_T

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do we need to change the words in ( ) to plural forms? t

They will just bring a notebook to school.
    ==> Each student brings one notebook.

They will just bring notebooks to school.
    ==> Each student with bring more than one notebook.

:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast