• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thanks for helping again and again, CitySpeak! Is it right to add in a few words there in the sentence as in:

In the future, people will do their shopping at home. They will buy things via the television, and there will be robots to deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes

PLUS, I've got another sentence that needs corrections. Please advise too! Sorry for the hassle, teachers!

When I was a little girl, I already loved painting and drawing, so I made up my mind to be a fashion designer in the future.

Please correct if there's any mistakes. Thanks again! T_T
    Your first sentence is perfectly good. As for the second sentence, change it to: "When I was a little girl I loved painting and drawing, so I made up my mind to become a fashion designer in the future." (As Red advised in the other thread.)

:)

Helped Wanted Guest

Thanks again, teacher Ronbee! ^o^

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thanks for helping again and again, CitySpeak! Is it right to add in a few words there in the sentence as in:

In the future, people will do their shopping at home. They will buy things via the television, and there will be robots to deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes

PLUS, I've got another sentence that needs corrections. Please advise too! Sorry for the hassle, teachers!

When I was a little girl, I already loved painting and drawing, so I made up my mind to be a fashion designer in the future.

Please correct if there's any mistakes. Thanks again! T_T

I would leave it as "and robots will deliver products (merchandise or goods) to their homes."

It is correct as you have written it, but "there will be" is not really necessary. I think the sentence is better without "there will be".

You just need to remove "already" and the sentence will be correct. However, I think it would be better to divide this sentence into two. The two clauses express thoughts that are related to each other, but I still think two sentences would be better. To me, there doesn't seem to be a strong enough connection between both clauses to combine them as one sentence.

I would write it as follows:

When I was a little girl, I loved painting and drawing. This is why I made up my mind to become a fashion designer.

or: This is one reason why I made up my mind to become a fashion designer.

If you want to use "already", this is how you can use it.

I had already discovered when I was a little girl that I loved painting and drawing. So, I made up my mind to become a fashion designer.

Also, I don't think "in the future" is really necessary here. The sentence already indicates that this is a future plan.

Did you decide to become a fashion designer when you were a little girl, or did you decide after you had grown up? At what point did you decide to become a fashion designer

Helped Wanted Guest

Thank you soooooo much for such a detailed explanation, teacher CitySpeak! Many, many thanks again for helping! ^o^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2