Raiph is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Multiple Choice2

Please give the answer along with the detailed explanation of the following multiple choice. Appreciate your help!
    1.It was only when they had eaten all the food that they finally —————from the table.
    A.got up B.left behind C.went away D.stood on
    My answer:C Suggested key:A
    2.In the past decades, the farms of the world have__________succeeded in producing enough food to feed all of the planet's people.
    A.relrvantly B.externally C.utterly D.virtually
    My answer:C Suggested key:D
    3.I'm __________enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
    A.relistic B.conscious C.aware D.radical
    My answer:C Suggested key:B
    4.Before he started work , I asked the builder to give me an _________of the cost of repairing the roof
    A.assessment B.announcement C.estimate D.evaluation
    My answer:A Suggested key:C
    I made mistakes over these exercises, please give the explanation to the right answer.Thank you!

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple Choice2

1.It was only when they had eaten all the food that they finally —————from the table.
    A.got up B.left behind C.went away D.stood on

A is correct. Even thought your answer C makes grammatical sense, the traditional phraseology is "to get up from" the table once one is finished eating. (Most likely because you have to rise from a sitting position before you can leave.)

2.In the past decades, the farms of the world have__________succeeded in producing enough food to feed all of the planet's people.
    A.relrvantly B.externally C.utterly D.virtually

It would ultimately depend upon the context, but I'd say that D is correct. A and B don't make any sense in this context. "Utterly" means absolutely or entirely; "virtually" means almost, but not quite; or practically.

3.I'm __________enough to know it is going to be a very difficult situation to compete against three strong teams.
    A.relistic B.conscious C.aware D.radical

I'm going to disagree with both your answer and the Suggested Key. Again, the correct answer would ultimately depend upon the context, but as shown, my answer would be A. I'm realistic enough, meaning I'm not giving myself false hope - I understand that I'm facing a difficult situation and I'm prepared.

4.Before he started work , I asked the builder to give me an _________of the cost of repairing the roof
    A.assessment B.announcement C.estimate D.evaluation

Although A makes grammatical sense, in this case C is the correct answer. When you're dealing with contractors, builders and construction workers, you always ask them to look at the necessary repairs and then give you an estimate of the costs. It's a word that's specific to that industry.