Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 144
  1. #111
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by shun View Post

    Also, why don't people around here concentrate on that? Why will they use Meanings like Habit to explain the present?

    You really have this backassward, Shun. Nobody has used 'habit' to explain the present. It's only a name of a form of a verb that we use to denote habitual actions; I brush my teeth; I sometimes watch TV; I eat sushi 3 times per week.

    These are all things that are done habitually and the habitual meaning can only be described by using the FORM, thepresent simple tense.


    -----------------------

    My reply: First of all, let us get this clear: I am asking about the present time. You may skip this thread, but you shall not change my subject to match your favorite.
    Actually, if you'll note, Shun, the name of the thread is the "future time".

  2. #112
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by shun View Post
    My reply: I am afraid you have been confused and indeed changed my question from Time to Tense.
    Shun, you again trying to change the argument. My response was to your inaccurate statement in http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/114953-post92.html that, and I quote, 'Tense is used to express time', which I said was not a complete view of tense. I was responding to a claim you had made.

    Secondly, I said 'the adverbs', which, by virtue of having a definite article, refers clearly to those time adverbs that you had mentioned (including 'today'), and you have not considered for a second the fact that we can use 'now' to refer to past time.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol
    you have not considered for a second the fact that we can use 'now' to refer to past time.
    My reply: I am afraid not. I have considered it. Just because we refer it that way, so it is hard to understand why. That is why I ask you to define 'now'.

    By "can", you have only defined the ability of present time. But I am asking of "is". What is the present time? Is the present time the past time?

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid
    Actually, if you'll note, Shun, the name of the thread is the "future time".
    My reply: In fact, I am asking about you to define any kind of time past, present, or future.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic
    I don't deny that "present time" is a very interesting subject, in a philosophical or scientific context; but my answers are intended to relate only to the "present tense".
    My reply: Whether you like it or not, English uses tense to speak of time, in any contexts. For example, we are all using tense here. The fact that you vaguely link "present time" to a philosophical or scientific context doesn't mean time is philosophical. Rather, it is scientific and can be as practical as your wrist watch.

    Every language has to speak of time, with or without formation of tense. Many languages have seen the importance of time, so they even exercise tense to express it. We cannot regard such necessary and every-minute usage as philosophical, can we?

    Most magic performances are interesting. If you don't know their secrets, you will think they are impossible or outrageous. If you know the secret, it is so easy!!

    --------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic
    but my answers are intended to relate only to the "present tense".
    My reply: That is why I say you have avoided my question of "present time".

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandhya.sha
    I believe you are still confused as to what the so-called "Present" is.
    May be the following type of sentence confuses you:
    "It happened today".
    Generally, today is the 'Present'. Here it refers to something that happened in the earlier part of 'today'. Today is grammatically the "Present". However, as I explained before a day also can have divisions. So, in the evening you refer to something that happened in the morning as a past event. Anything that happened before this particular moment is the past.

    What if you say, "It happens today" ? It denotes the future time (not the future tense).
    My reply: Despite all these you have said by yourself, you still don't see past and future within Today? I am not only confused, but also impressed. The unfortunate thing is, other than me, no one will point out your obvious confusion to you.

  7. #117
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    By "my answers are intended to relate only to the present tense", I mean that my answers are not intended to address the philosophical content of your posts.

    You can think of it as a meta-temporal comment.

    By "a very interesting subject in a philosophical or scientific context", I mean that time is an interesting subject for philosophical discussion.

    You can think of it as a meta-threadical comment.

    Have a cheery Friday,

    MrP

  8. #118
    risby is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by shun View Post
    What is the present time?
    I make it 9:23 am but my watch may be a little slow.

    Hope this helps.

  9. #119
    MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    I think it's just that your post is two minutes fast, Risby...

  10. #120
    risby is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How would you define the future time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    I think it's just that your post is two minutes fast, Risby...
    It seems my post was fast enough to dilate time as per relativity.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Yesterday a past time?
    By shun in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 18:54
  2. Revisiting Present Perfect
    By jwschang in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2006, 12:50
  3. Uncertain Future
    By ram in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2004, 18:48
  4. Time Reference (past progressive/Future)
    By Moreen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2004, 07:04
  5. Do we have future tense?
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2003, 17:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •