Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Hi, the question "who's calling?" phonetically looks like: [huz ˈkɔ lɪŋ] there's an "ng" sound at the end, but I think most people replace the "ng" sound with an "n" sound in casual/fast/hollywood speech. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm also interested if there's any stress on the word "Who's" or we just need to stress the first syllable of calling? Let's say the context is when I pick up the phone and ask Who's calling. Is there any stress on "who"?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I don't know what most people do in 'casual Hollywood speech', but in my variety of BrE the velar nasal 'ng' is retained, even if it's sometimes reduced in rapid/casual speech.

As for the stress on 'who's', there normally isn't any. It could be stressed to express real surprise or astonishment. 'Who's calling? I don't believe it!'

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people say "Who's callin'?", but that is not standard.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, the question "who's calling?" phonetically looks like: [huz ˈkɔ lɪŋ] there's an "ng" sound at the end, but I think most people replace the "ng" sound with an "n" sound in casual/fast/hollywood speech. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm also interested if there's any stress on the word "Who's" or we just need to stress the first syllable of calling? Let's say the context is when I pick up the phone and ask Who's calling. Is there any stress on "who"?

Dropping the G from-ing words is common but not standard. It's incorrect and sloppy. Remember that many English speakers don't speak standard English - that is, English that is generally regarded as correct.

I say "Who's calling." So do most other English speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.