Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    give birth to a baby

    Dear teachers,
    Does it make sense if I say to a bride and groom " Wish you give birth to a baby as soon as possible" as a good wish?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: give birth to a baby

    It makes sense grammatically, but it might be a bit too personal of a greeting. You don't know if the happy couple wants to start a family very soon, or whether or not the bride is able to have children. It's best to just say "congratulations" or "I wish you both a lifetime of happiness."


    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 6
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: give birth to a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    Does it make sense if I say to a bride and groom " Wish you give birth to a baby as soon as possible" as a good wish?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    In the UK we would wish the Bride and Groom 'much happiness' or 'health, wealth and happiness' or 'all the best for a long and happy marriage'
    We would not mention having babies at a wedding, it may be they have already decided that they do not want to have any children, it may be something they have not given any thought to or worse still the Bride is pregnant and they want to keep it quiet!!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: give birth to a baby

    &
    Hi wellhouse,

    Thank you so much for your reply.
    It's my fault. I should have explained the following way:

    In China people believe that the more children and grandchildren a couple have the lukier they are. So at a wedding people say something that serves as a wish that the couple will have children(actually a son). And of course people believe the early, the better. So I don't know how I can translate the meaning. The literal translation from Chinese into English is " Hope you give birth to a son as soon as possible".
    Could you please tell me if you need to make such a wish what would say?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by wellhouse
    In the UK we would wish the Bride and Groom 'much happiness' or 'health, wealth and happiness' or 'all the best for a long and happy marriage'
    We would not mention having babies at a wedding, it may be they have already decided that they do not want to have any children, it may be something they have not given any thought to or worse still the Bride is pregnant and they want to keep it quiet!!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: give birth to a baby

    &
    Hi ,Ouisch

    Thank you so much for your reply.
    It's my fault. I should have explained the following way:

    In China people believe that the more children and grandchildren a couple have the lukier they are. So at a wedding people say something that serves as a wish that the couple will have children(actually a son). And of course people believe the early, the better. So I don't know how I can translate the meaning. The literal translation from Chinese into English is " Hope you give birth to a son as soon as possible".
    Could you please tell me if you need to make such a wish what would say?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch
    It makes sense grammatically, but it might be a bit too personal of a greeting. You don't know if the happy couple wants to start a family very soon, or whether or not the bride is able to have children. It's best to just say "congratulations" or "I wish you both a lifetime of happiness."


    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 6
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: give birth to a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    &
    Hi wellhouse,

    Thank you so much for your reply.
    It's my fault. I should have explained the following way:

    In China people believe that the more children and grandchildren a couple have the lukier they are. So at a wedding people say something that serves as a wish that the couple will have children(actually a son). And of course people believe the early, the better. So I don't know how I can translate the meaning. The literal translation from Chinese into English is " Hope you give birth to a son as soon as possible".
    Could you please tell me if you need to make such a wish what would say?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Hi Jiang,
    In that case you could maybe say something like ' I hope you are blessed with a son/ a child very soon' Another expression used in the UK is ' I hope you hear the patter of tiny feet soon' ( patter meaning footsteps )
    Hope this helps

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: give birth to a baby


    Hi wellhouse,

    Thank you so much for your help. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by wellhouse
    Hi Jiang,
    In that case you could maybe say something like ' I hope you are blessed with a son/ a child very soon' Another expression used in the UK is ' I hope you hear the patter of tiny feet soon' ( patter meaning footsteps )
    Hope this helps


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 10
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: give birth to a baby

    Can we say like these ?

    1- Have a kid soon.

    2- I wish you both have a kid (a son) soon

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: give birth to a baby


    If these work it's good because they are simple and similar to Chinese.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by dungtai
    Can we say like these ?

    1- Have a kid soon.

    2- I wish you both have a kid (a son) soon

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 1,760
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: give birth to a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang

    If these work it's good because they are simple and similar to Chinese.

    Jiang
    Hi. I don't see those two wishes too polite. Just compare them with the Wellhouse's wishes!

    Take care,
    Nyggus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. any difference?
    By Taka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2004, 15:19
  2. baby and grandfather
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-May-2004, 02:28
  3. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 00:40
  4. Give in X Give up
    By apparrode in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2004, 00:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •