Does the word 'serve' contain a monophthong or diphthong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is the pronunciation of 'er' in the word 'serve' a monophthong or diphthong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please remember to put your pronunciation questions in the right section of the forum - Pronunciation and Phonetics. I think this is the third post of yours that I've moved out of Ask A Teacher.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
You need to specify which variety of English you're talking about. It's usually a monophthong in BrE, because for the most part, BrE is non-rhotic.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please remember to put your pronunciation questions in the right section of the forum - Pronunciation and Phonetics. I think this is the third post of yours that I've moved out of Ask A Teacher.

In standard American English, neither. Both E's are silent. We pronounce it srv.

There are regional U.S. variations, however, such as suv (especially in the south) and soiv (especially in the northeast).

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In standard American English, neither. Both E's are silent. We pronounce it srv.

There are regional U.S. variations, however, such as suv (especially in the south) and soiv (especially in the northeast).

Thank you for your response, Charlie. Do you mean the word "serve" does not contain a vowel in standard American English?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has two E's. In standard American, they are not pronounced. They are silent. There is not a monothong or dipthong.

In British and in some variations of American, the first E is pronounced. Its pronunciation varies from place to place.

The second E is never pronounced anywhere by anyone.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand your answer. Of course the first e is pronounced in AmE. It sounds just like the e in "her". The second e is silent. There is no way to pronounce "srv".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The same applies to BrE. We don't pronounce the final "e". The word sounds as if it finishes with a "v". However, the first part of the word clearly contains an "e" as part of "ser". As Mike said, it's not possible to say "srv".

The only difference, for me, is that in AmE you will hear the "r" and in most regional BrE accents, you won't.

Click HERE for several pronunciations of "serve" on Forvo. There are 2 AmE pronunciations and 1 Canadian English, and in both of them you can clearly hear the "r" sound. If you then play the BrE pronunciation (by me!) you will not hear the "r" sound.

mandrews01

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the BrE pronunciation the first 'e' is a long monophthong. It rhymes with her, fur and bird.

Michael Andrews

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.