Thread: restatement

Post Thanks / Like

Default restatement

..............because the extent of their damage was limited.

A-It is the magnitude, comprehensiveness and speed of man's environmental intrusion

B-Many human societies have existed in a reasonably harmonious and healthy relationship with their environment

C-This capacity for environmental intervention has allowed man to greatly increase crop yields

D-Thousands of new substances and numerous diruptive actvities are now affecting the ecosystem

E-It is scientific progress itself,however,that gives us the means to create our present problems

Which do you think is correct? I think B is correct but is the tense choice OK? As far as I know, the present perfect is related with the present time but I doubt whether the sentence bears such a relation to the present. What do you think?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: restatement

I agree- I think the idea is that the societies have existed over time when taken as a group, but the indib=vidual societies may have died out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree- I think the idea is that the societies have existed over time when taken as a group, but the indib=vidual societies may have died out.
    hi, tdol. thanks. do you think the tense choice is OK in B?

Many human societies have existed in a reasonably harmonious and healthy relationship with their environment because the extent of their damage was limited.

Wouldn't you say something like below if you wanted to be specific about many societies in the past or at the present time:

- Many human societies have existed in a reasonably harmonious and healthy relationship with their environment because the extent of their damage has been limited.

or

- Many human societies existed in a reasonably harmonious and healthy relationship with their environment because the extent of their damage was limited.

are my sentences correct Is B correct, though can you cast some light on the issue
    Last edited by curious; 19-May-2006 at 09:22.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Your sentences are fine, though B) works as well ofr me, so your first and B) could both be used IMO to reflect on societies over history and currently.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you tdol.