Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So, there are like 2 years I don't speak English, and I'm afraid it has deteriorated significantly. I did record myself reading this very sentence (England's entry in Wikipedia), and I'd love to have you guys hearing it and rating it as honest as you can be.

"England [SUP]i[/SUP]/ˈɪŋɡlənd/ is a country that is part of the United Kingdom.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] It shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. The Irish Sea lies northwest of England and the Celtic Sea lies to the southwest. England is separated from continental Europe by the North Sea to the east and the English Channel to the south. The country covers much of the central and southern part of the island of Great Britain, which lies in the North Atlantic; and includes over 100 smaller islands such as the Isles of Scilly, and the Isle of Wight."

https://infotomb.com/hw6zb

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I understood everything you said, but there are some problems with the length of the vowels and the stress on the final syllable, which is far too long. This is also noticeable in words of one syllable like, 'is', 'shares', 'north', 'west', 'lies' and so on.

The 'o' in 'Scotland' and 'covers' is incorrectly pronounced. The word 'includes' is very strange. 'Scilly' is pronounced as 'silly'.

downtotheleft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So, I read this other excerpt, from UK's entry in Wikipedia. Tried to correct the problems Roman55 did point out.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign state in Europe. Lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland, the country includes the island of Great Britain—a term also applied loosely to refer to the whole country—the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands.[SUP][8][/SUP] Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another state (the Republic of Ireland).[SUP][nb 5][/SUP] Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean to its west and north, the North Sea to its east and the English Channel to its south. The Irish Sea lies between Great Britain and Ireland. The UK has an area of 93,800 square miles (243,000 km[SUP]2[/SUP]), making it the 80th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe.

https://infotomb.com/ynnnv

downtotheleft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Tried to address the problems Roman55 pointed out. This time, this is the excerpt I read:

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign state in Europe. Lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland, the country includes the island of Great Britain—a term also applied loosely to refer to the whole country—the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands.[SUP][8][/SUP] Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another state (the Republic of Ireland).[SUP][nb 5][/SUP] Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean to its west and north, the North Sea to its east and the English Channel to its south. The Irish Sea lies between Great Britain and Ireland. The UK has an area of 93,800 square miles (243,000 km[SUP]2[/SUP]), making it the 80th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe."

https://infotomb.com/ynnnv

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Firstly, record yourself speaking normally- reading a text is always unnatural. I would focus on your vowel sounds- they're too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.