Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The thought of slavery made men like William Wilberforce sad.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a question for us?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Letb:

If I were to diagram your sentence, I would first reduce it to the skeleton (basic sentence):

Thought + made + men + sad.

Thought = subject.
made = verb.
men = object.
sad = objective complement (describes the object "men").

Now you can add the other words:

The = adjective or determiner.

thought = noun as subject.

of = preposition.

slavery = noun (object of preposition). ("of slavery" = prepositional phrase that modifies [belongs to] "thought.")

made = verb.

men = noun.

like = preposition.

William Wilberforce = noun. (object of the preposition "like." / "like William Wilberforce" = prepositional phrase that modifies "men.")

sad = adjective (refers to "men").

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Prasar,
Excellent way of breaking down a sentence, mathematically. Is it necessary, to break it down in the first place? As I understand it, all words have meanings but, when breaking down a sentence it's makes for more words within the sentence itself? is it possible to create the right words in the first place without confusing the sentence?

This is what I do need to do.There are are synonyms plus the original core word. The word perfect comes to mind I use Grammarly which helps me with Grammar and I have a horrible time understanding verbs nouns and such, but you expressed that sentenced perfectly to me. My problem is I over state my words and sentences and need to shorten them for clarity.

I love my native language English, but I have a hard time putting the correct words in the sentence. Thanks for your patience here. Paul

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Paul James:

This is the diagramming forum.

Some people want those tree diagrams that one learns in university linguistic classes. That topic is way over my head.

A few people (very few!) are interested in the (in)famous Reed-Kellogg diagramming system that American high school teachers tried to teach their students before World War II and immediately afterwards.

In this forum, there used to be a gentleman who would post Reed-Kellogg diagrams.

Those diagrams force you to account for every word that you decide to use.

Nowadays, the Reed-Kellogg system is almost extinct. Today's American students would not tolerate it, and very few teachers have even heard of it, let alone know it well enough to teach it.

If you get a free minute, do go to Google and search for: Reed-Kellogg Diagramming System. There are many websites that will give you the basics. (I highly recommend German - Latin - English. com. You can find it through Google.)

Many people like to do crosswords.

A few of us (very few!) like to diagram sentences.

The famous poet Gertrude Stein once said, "I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than diagramming sentences."

It's very lonely in this forum, for most people of all ages believe that there are many other things that are more exciting than diagramming sentences! Can you believe that?

It's been great chatting with you.

When you get time, please do post a sentence for us members to diagram. We're waiting for customers. (P.S. Ms. Stein is the person who famously said, "There's no there there.")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.