Were you taught any kind of phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?
If not, do you consider it a pity?

Last edited:

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

I have never been taught English phonetic symbols at any level of my education.
It is not something that I regret as I have learned to pronounce English in the way that is normal for my part of the UK.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only phonetic symbols I was taught were the dash over long vowels and a U over short vowels. Occasionally a short A had two dots over it, That was enough for me. In most cases, people learn pronunciation by hearing, not from phonetic symbols.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school? No.

If not, do you consider it a pity? No.

I can't think of many American sounds that can't be spelled using the 26 letters.

There's a central Connecticut hiccup way of saying words with T in the middle, like button (BUH'in) and Britain (BRIH'in), that defies phonetic spelling, and there's the quick, sharp Maine inhale (>YUH!<), and there are probably a few others. But not many. Certainly not enough to warrant learning a whole phonetic system.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only phonetic symbols I was taught were the dash over long vowels and a U over short vowels. Occasionally a short A had two dots over it, That was enough for me. In most cases, people learn pronunciation by hearing, not from phonetic symbols.

Good point. I wasn't thinking of umlauts and tildes and whatnot.

But, Taiwan, those sounds can also be spelled out with letters.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Sounds vs words,
Pronunciation vs spelling,
My concern is:
Whether English phonetic symbols should be included in the curriculum of primary school?

Last edited:

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
British Council, UK:Teaching pronunciation with phonemic symbols
●Phonemic symbols represent the sounds of the English language.
●Using them can be a valuable tool to improving your students' pronunciation.
●It is important for teachers to know the phonemic symbols.
●It is not difficult to learn phonemic symbols.
(From https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pronunciation-phonemic-symbols)

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I was taught IPA as a compulsory part of the national English teachers training curriculum but ironically have hardly ever used it apart from in various professional interviews.

Strictly speaking, "reading" phonemc symbols have nothing to do with decent pronunciation, but the accent of the teacher does! (as well as anything that children can hear - class CDs, nursery rhymes, etc.) It's through hearing that we learn how to pronounce sounds and sound words, not through reading. Besides, children are generally so good at parroting!

On the other hand, doing phonemic symbols can vary the process like colouring or writing/copying, so why not? (particulary with a not very academic class)

ps. It might help to know your personal reasoning as well. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?
If not, do you consider it a pity?

I wasn't. I started studying second languages in secondary school, but we didn't use them there either. It was only at university that I started using them at all. I'm not sure whether it's a pity as it's hard to say whether I lost out because of this.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I wasn't taught phonetic symbols in any primary school I attended, and I went to primary school in three different countries.

I do think they're very useful for non-natives when encountering an English word for the first time, though.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it more helpful than hearing the word pronounced? How did so many of us learn pronunciation without these symbols?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have never been taught phonetic symbols. I have never taught myself either. I don't use them or understand them. ;-)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I officially declare you an old guy, just like me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was never taught them in Australia in school between the 60s and 70s. No, it wasn't a pity. We could easily hear what the teacher and what our classmates were saying without symbols.
As I recall, I don't think we learned any phonetic symbols for French at junior level either. But I've found it very useful later in life learning foreign languages without so much native aural feedback.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is it more helpful than hearing the word pronounced? How did so many of us learn pronunciation without these symbols?

Why pupils in Taiwan and China are taught Zhuyin and Pinyin respectively in their Mandarin Chinese class?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Is it more helpful than hearing the word pronounced?

No, of course not. Nothing is better for learning pronunciation than to hear a native speaker pronounce the words. But, since English spelling is notoriously unhelpful for pronunciation, if you are a non-native and encounter new words while reading, I think knowledge of phonetic symbols can be useful.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probus, I prefer "dinosaur". :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why pupils in Taiwan and China are taught Zhuyin and Pinyin respectively in their Mandarin Chinese class?

Different languages present different problems.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds vs words,
Pronunciation vs spelling,
My concern is:
Whether English phonetic symbols should be included in the curriculum of primary school?

I can't think of a reason for most Engish-speaking students to know about phonetic symbols. I'd never seen one until I discovered UsingEnglish.com.

You might be right that it could be useful to people who teach English as a second language. But I'm not quite convinced. My Spanish teachers never used phonetic symbols to teach us Spanish.

There are a lot of people and several organizations with ideas about simplifying and standardizing written and spoken English. But that seems meddlesome and misbegotten to me.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hey Charlie!

1. Spanish is a phonetic language while English isn't.
2. Understanding that Chinese is not a phonetic language, the governments both in Taiwan and China make it compulsory to teach primary-school pupils Zhuyin and Pinyin respectively.

3. The British Council advocates teaching of English phonetic symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies.