Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am currently practicing my essay writing, so I need someone could help me find out the errors I made in the essay. Greatly appreciated!

Traffic jam is a serious problem of big cities. Governments decide to build wider roads in order to solve the problem. Do you agree or disagree?

Governments plan to widen roads in big cities for addressing traffic congestion. I somewhat disagree with this implementation because this approach may work for the cities in developing countries; however, to tackle the traffic problem effectively and efficiently for all major cities, governments need to put their focus on the limitation of number of cars on the roads and an improvement of public transportation services.

Building wider roads would be a solution to the traffic jam in developing countries. This is because the infrastructure in the cities is mostly underdeveloped. For example, the roads are rather narrow in countries like Thailand and Malaysia, which means the construction of wider roads could ease the heavy traffic in these places.

Nevertheless, an efficient solution of traffic jam would be to conduct a policy of reducing number of vehicles on the roads in metropolis. As the main cause of traffic congestion is due to the excessive number of cars on the roads, a restriction certainly will reduce the traffic flow. To illustrate, in my hometown, one of the biggest cities in China, where the traffic condition has been dramatically improved since a regulation towards vehicle restriction applied.

Another efficient solution of traffic congestion would be to improve the public transportation service in major cities. The service should be made more readily available and appealing for commuters. In this way, they would prefer to take buses, trains and subways rather than driving their own cars for travelling across the cities.

In conclusion, I restate my opinion that I partially disagree that building wider roads in mega cities is the proper solution to traffic congestion because this approach may only works on developing countries. A comprehensive solution for the traffic problem should be the restriction the number of cars on the roads and the promotion of the public transportation service for travelers.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Some governments [STRIKE]plan to[/STRIKE] widen roads in big cities [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] as a way of addressing (the problem of) traffic congestion. I somewhat disagree with this solution. [STRIKE]implementation because this approach[/STRIKE] While it may work for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] cities in developing countries, [STRIKE]however, [/STRIKE] a more comprehensive approach is needed to tackle the traffic congestion problem effectively and efficiently for all major cities. Governments need to put their focus on limiting the [STRIKE]the limitation of[/STRIKE] number of cars on the road[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]an improvement of[/STRIKE] improving public transportation services.

Building wider roads [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] could be a solution to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] traffic congestion [STRIKE]jam[/STRIKE] in developing countries. This is because the infrastructure in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] cities there is mostly underdeveloped. For example, the roads are rather narrow in countries like Thailand and Malaysia, which means the construction of wider roads could ease the heavy traffic in these places.

Nevertheless, a more efficient solution [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to traffic congestion [STRIKE]jam[/STRIKE] would be to [STRIKE]conduct[/STRIKE] implement a policy of reducing the number of vehicles on the road in (major/large) metropolises. As the main cause of traffic congestion is [STRIKE]due to[/STRIKE] the excessive number of cars on the road, a restriction will certainly [STRIKE]reduce[/STRIKE] ease the traffic flow. To illustrate, [STRIKE]in my hometown, one of the biggest cities in China, where the[/STRIKE] the flow of traffic in my hometown, one of the biggest cities in China, [STRIKE]where condition[/STRIKE] has been dramatically improved since a regulation towards vehicle restriction was applied.

Another efficient solution [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to traffic congestion would be to improve the public transportation service in major cities. The service should be made more readily available and appealing for commuters. In this way, they would prefer to take buses, trains and subways rather than driving their own cars to commute to work or for other journeys. [STRIKE]for travelling across the cities.[/STRIKE]

In conclusion, I [STRIKE]restate my opinion[/STRIKE] reiterate that I partially disagree that building wider roads in mega cities is the proper solution to traffic congestion, because this approach may only work [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in developing countries. A comprehensive solution for the traffic problem should be [STRIKE]the restriction[/STRIKE] restricting the number of cars on the road and the promotion of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] public transportation services [STRIKE]for travelers[/STRIKE].

wzncx8879

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks very much for your correction, it`s really helpful. I have a question about V+ing words and nouns, if you don`t mind I ask.

the sentences 'Governments need to put their focus on limiting thethe limitation of number of cars on the roads and an improvement of improving public transportation services.' and 'A comprehensive solution for the traffic problem should be the restriction restrictingthe number of cars on the road'.

What is the differences between the V+ing nouns and nouns in the sentences above . Is a v+ing stronger than a noun for expressing a point in a sentence?
I greatly appreciate for your help again ^_^

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks very much for your correction, it`s really helpful. I have a question about V+ing words and nouns, if you don`t mind I ask.

the sentences 'Governments need to put their focus on limiting thethe limitation of number of cars on the roads and an improvement of improving public transportation services.' and 'A comprehensive solution for the traffic problem should be the restrictionrestrictingthe number of cars on the road'.

What is the differences between the V+ing nouns and nouns in the sentences above . Is a v+ing stronger than a noun for expressing a point in a sentence?
I greatly appreciate for your help again ^_^

Read up on gerunds.

wzncx8879

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I definitely will thank you very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.