English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help. I've been teaching English (face to face, that is!) for two years now. Unfortunately, summer is a tough time for us, with no income until classes start again in September. I want to make some pocket money over the summer teaching online, but it seems quite awkward. I wonder am I the only person who has ever thought about teaching English online, as it seems ridiculously difficult to get in to the main sites (for all intents and purposes, italki and myngle are closed for new English teachers, Wiziq seems badly designed and hard to navigate). I just want to connect with a couple of people out of the millions worldwide who are looking for lessons!

Any help or advice about how to find students?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I see you're based in Spain. Have you looked at LingoBongo.com? It started as a website for people to find accommodation but it has turned into a huge resource for jobs, accommodation, items for sale etc. When I was teaching in Madrid, I picked up a few students over the summer (2009 and 2010) by advertising there. All of my students wanted face-to-face classes but if you make it clear you're offering Skype classes, you can attract people from outside Madrid and Barcelona.

TinaNuyen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help. I've been teaching English (face to face, that is!) for two years now. Unfortunately, summer is a tough time for us, with no income until classes start again in September. I want to make some pocket money over the summer teaching online, but it seems quite awkward. I wonder am I the only person who has ever thought about teaching English online, as it seems ridiculously difficult to get in to the main sites (for all intents and purposes, italki and myngle are closed for new English teachers, Wiziq seems badly designed and hard to navigate). I just want to connect with a couple of people out of the millions worldwide who are looking for lessons!

Any help or advice about how to find students?

I'm currently living in Vietnam and teaching online. Language centers just don't allow it but you can google a webpage with key word "eduu.vn". They are the source of learners through the whole country and maybe they have learners outside their country also. You can post about yourself and if someone wants to they will contact you. The page doesnt charge anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.