Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm new here, so let me know if I should post somewhere other this thread than here, or anything else :)

I'm Italian, and, as many English people know, all Italians add many little vowels while they speak (especially at word boundaries). I've discovered it a little time ago, and I'm trying to fix this problem, but it's not so easy... every time I try I almost get angr because that little vowel seems to appear from nowhere even if I try to do everything I can to stop it. I've tried to say the entire word before and the consonant then, not-bounded... but I've discovered I add that vowel even to isolated consonants. I've tried to pronounce a longer consonant, but it doesn't work. I've tried to close my mouth when I complete a word: I don't add a vowel, but a P. Surely a more horrible pronunciation.

Could someone give me advice? I need to learn it because this summer I'm having a two-week holiday in Edinburgh, without my parents (to go to English school), and I don't want other people to laugh while I speak :(

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Given your accent concern, and how well you write English, I'm sure the people of Edinburgh will find your speech excellent.

Last edited:

Toadino2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks. I'm happy about it :)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Linguistically, the concepts you're dealing with are referred to as prothesis and epenthesis (depending upon where the added sounds are occurring). Knowing the terms may help you to do some research on methodologies.

Toadino2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Linguistically, the concepts you're dealing with are referred to as prothesis and epenthesis (depending upon where the added sounds are occurring). Knowing the terms may help you to do some research on methodologies.
Thanks, but I already know this phenomenon... even in Italian... and I've looked for it several times, without any result... however, I am starting solving this problem, maybe I'll do some other researches :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Given your accent concern, and how well you write English, I'm sure the people of Edinburgh will find your speech excellent.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Your written English is excellent, which means that your spoken English is probably more than good enough for anything except impersonating a member of the British peerage. No one minds a foreign accent as long as you have a good grasp of the language.

But if you're really committed to working on your accent, pick an English-speaking movie star - one with good British or American diction, whichever you prefer. For instance, Hugh Grant and Kate Winslet are good British speakers and Leonardo DiCaprio and Sandra Bullock are good American speakers.

Watch the actor's movies on your TV or computer. Pause the movies often to repeat lines. The more you do it, the better your accent will become.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have had the opportunity to teach a number of Italian students and I know the owners and staffs of a variety of Italian restaurants. I know the "problem" that you are referring to, but I have never found it to be irritating or humorous. It is OK for you to want to fix the problem, but don't worry too much about it.

Toadino2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks to all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.