Student or Learner
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Hi,
I am a learner of English with decent experience of 4-5 years. I have IELTS 7.5 (Reading 8.5); nevertheless, every time I read fiction literature, I get confused. The most annoying is that I do not get the idea which the writer trying to put in by using satire, wit, and dialogues. I am not sure whether this is only about vocabulary or syntax. Can anyone help me? Should I learn more idioms and phrasal verbs to understand it or just practice? Any advice is regarded.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What have you been reading? Fiction is not an easy area to read - it is usually more taxing than non-fiction. Have you read much/anything that you enjoyed and do you read a lot of fiction in your own language?

Last edited by a moderator:

geass11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't particularly like English fictional literature.

Everybody I know, thinks Shakespeare is dreadful. The language is hard to understand and it isn't even that interesting.

Anyway, what types of English fictional literature have you been reading?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Everybody I know, thinks Shakespeare is dreadful. The language is hard to understand and it isn't even that interesting.

Have you tried watching some at the theatre- seeing it done is a very different experience? Or watch something like Kenneth Branagh's Henry V film.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, working on the assumption that we "know" each other, your assertion is false. I do not think Shakespeare is dreadful! It's complicated, it's hard to follow but it's ultimately rewarding. I genuinely wouldn't expect non-native speakers to get it at all!

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't think Shakespear is dreadful either but beg to differ on the second part. Of course, you can question the extent to which a non-native speaker can perceive Shakespear. To the best of my belief, however, it could not so much be a linguistic issue but a cultural thing.

Back to the original question, you might want to try reading one author only, preferably someone nearly contemporary. If you stick to one writer for a while, you'll gradually get used to his or her language - idioms, phrases, sentence structures, etc. It could be challenging at first, just skip the most demanding parts and keep going. The point is to find a fairly prolific writer you'd find inetersting enough to read and read a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.