Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi,
I spelled my name as "Jeesun" for long time. It is spelled it so that it would pronounced as "Gee Sun(son)" But a lot of European and some English speaker told me in proper English J should sound as yee. So some people say my name as Yee Sun or Yee Soon or Gee soon.
I figured I might be able to solve this issue by spelling it Geeson, Geesuhn, Geeson or Gee-Suhn. What would you recommend?

And now last name is bit more complicated. I spelled it Choi at first but it is supposed to be pronounced as Cho-Ae. So I spelled it Choae. But it caused most of people to pronounce it Cho. What would be the best way to spell it so that people can say it correctly? Would it be ChoAe or Cho-Ae?
Thank you so much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
An English "J" does not sound as "yee".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "ae" for the last syllable of your name, what word would this sound like? I don't know what you mean by "ae" as a sound.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
GeeSun or Gee Sun should be resistant to mispronunciation. Geesun could easily be stressed on the first syllable with a schwa on the second - "Geesn".
"Choae", I would pronounce ko-ei, or ko-i, or ko-ai, with the 'ch' as in chaos, Chloe.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you spell it "Gee-sun", most people would get it right. They would recognise the first three letters as the exclamation "Gee!" which is the pronunciation you are looking for.

However, if you spell it "Jee-sun" you will get the same result. An English "J" is a hard sound. It definitely isn't pronounced "yee". (In German, the letter "J" sounds like an English "y".)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
An English "J" is a hard sound.
Strictly the 'j' in juice and the 'g' in giraffe are the soft equivalent of a hard 'g', as in geese and ghost.
Given that the 'g' in giraffe and giant is called a soft 'g', and is pronounced the same as 'j' in jam, it might be confusing to call 'j' a hard sound. Certainly in comparison to 'y', it is.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies - I meant a "soft j/g".

GeeSun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
An English "J" does not sound as "yee".

I don't remeber anyone pronounce it Jee as Yee in the US but quite some European(non british) pronounced it as yee and one american colleague with an European girl friend told me about Jee as Yee story.

GeeSun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you say "ae" for the last syllable of your name, what word would this sound like? I don't know what you mean by "ae" as a sound.

I meant to explain it as the first sound of Apple. Thank you.

GeeSun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
GeeSun or Gee Sun should be resistant to mispronunciation. Geesun could easily be stressed on the first syllable with a schwa on the second - "Geesn".
"Choae", I would pronounce ko-ei, or ko-i, or ko-ai, with the 'ch' as in chaos, Chloe.

"Cho" part should be pronounced as in choke. And Ae as in Apple. Is there any good suggestion? Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought "Choi" would rhyme with "joy."
Choyah? That will be a tough one!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Cho" part should be pronounced as in choke. And Ae as in Apple. Is there any good suggestion? Thank you.
No, there is no good suggestion. There is no way of transcribing that name to make English natives put an 'a' for apple on the end. We just don't say that (assuming you are saying 'apple' correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.