Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings, :oops:
I cannot understand these words, story writing. I understand e-mail or casual writing but writing a story when I e-mailing confuses me greatly. I have no order or structure in my e-mail writing, or a voice yet. These things I need to work on. I ask for your patience. Paul

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Story writing" means writing a story. Is that what you can't do? Or are you really concerned with the concept, or the words "story writing"?
Do you need to write stories?

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My definition of the word story.

:?: My language is English unfortunately, I never was taught about when writing, one writes it like a story. I never took into my mind about structure of words and sentences plus paragraphs. I write from experiences, but without any order. I do not understand grammar or verbs and nouns, but use the words in place of grammar. I would describe it as free writing and not ordered writing.

I now see I need structure and some order when writing. Like numbers have structure and order, but as for me I do not. I like using paragraphs it makes the thread easy to understand. Using a story to write has chapters and are used as some order, but when I write I just write free style and are misunderstood because of not using some sort of order.

I see every once in a while using the software called Grammarly and the words used grammar by themselves. Should I just keep on writing outside of order in hopes of being somewhat in some order or continue in free writing or what comes to mind without structure and order? Paul

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: My definition of the word story.

:?: My native language is English. Unfortunately, I was never [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] taught [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] that, when writing, one writes it like a story. I never [STRIKE]took into my mind[/STRIKE] thought about the structure of words, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] sentences [STRIKE]plus[/STRIKE] or paragraphs. I write from experiences (no comma here) but without any order. I do not understand grammar or verbs and nouns, but use the words in place of grammar. I would describe it as free writing and not ordered writing.

I now see I need structure and some order when writing. [STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] Numbers have structure and order (no comma here) but [STRIKE]as for me[/STRIKE] I do not. I like using paragraphs - it makes the thread easy to understand. Using a story to write has chapters and are used as some order (I don't know what you're trying to say with the underlined part) but when I write, I just write [STRIKE]free style[/STRIKE] freestyle and [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] am misunderstood because [STRIKE]of not using[/STRIKE] I don't use/my writing doesn't have some sort of order.

I see every once in a while people using the software called Grammarly and the words used grammar by themselves (I don't understand the underlined part). Should I just keep on writing [STRIKE]outside of[/STRIKE] without order in hopes of being [STRIKE]somewhat in some order[/STRIKE] understood or continue [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] with free writing or whatever comes to mind without structure and order? Paul

Please see my amendments above. There is a difference, for me, between free writing for yourself and freestyle writing for others to read. I assume that your post here was an example of your free writing - ie you wrote whatever came into your head and did not consider its grammatical correctness or, in some cases, its comprehensibility.

If you are writing for others to read and if you want people to understand what you're talking about, my answer to the question in your final paragraph is "You should write grammatically, correctly and with some semblance of order".

I don't really know what you meant when you said "I use words in place of grammar".

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
The concept itself. I have used no structure are order when e-mailing. surely there is a way to introduce order into e-mail? Paul

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you can use a narrative structure in email if you want. The point about email, though, is that the type of text you write depends on the purpose of an email. (The same relates to a post here). It must be structured, but it needn't tell a story.
Has someone complained to you about your emails? It sounds like someone must have told you your emails should be more structured, and you've assumed you have to tell a story - or maybe you've been told you have to write an email in a story-telling way.
An email to a friend could be boring because it's not structured. But there are lots of ways you can structure an email (or a story).
One structure might be:
- A greeting; then asking how your friend has been lately.
- Answering some of the questions in your friend's last letter, or commenting on some of the interesting things they've told you.
- Telling your friend what you've been doing that's significant or interesting.
- Asking your friend what they have been doing.
- Telling your friend that you look forward to their reply.
- Signing off.

That's one common way to format an email. Is this the type of thing you mean?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

You've got two threads currently on story writing. This wastes the time of people who reply not knowing that you're getting dupicate advice in another thread. Please post only one thread for one topic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It might get confusing but I'm about to merge the two threads. Just a heads-up.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emr2d2,
Concerning the word semblance, that is I cannot understand grammar, therefore I will have to go back to e-mail hoping for a semblance of grammar. It is said we are not perfect if that is correct neither was the creators of writing. I will have to use a semblance of some order. If there is a right then there has to be wrong. I use grammarly as well that helps. What's correct with some might not be correct with all. Paul

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have to admit that I am surprised that, even if you're employing "free writing", you consider that things like "If not, neither was the creators of writing" are correct/acceptable. Much of your writing sounds like it has been written by a non-native speaker.

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Raymott,
I've always became confused on placing the thread in the right place. I understand your advice, but I will have to study Grammarly or grammar in a different manner. About the words taking place of grammar, they do some time for me because of the sentence and the words within the sentence. I see a different way to write, but it has to be my way that I understand, I am somewhat
handicapped mentally and have to suffer with it.

Your patience is needed. Paul

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If you suffer from a learning difficulty (it might interest you to know that, amongst the general population, "mentally handicapped" is not a politically correct term - however, those of us who do not suffer from the same issues will take our lead from those of you that do), it would be helpful for us to know what your major problems are. Do you have dyslexia? Dyspraxia? ADHD?

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2,
I was born in Miami and raised in Georgia. Since I was not taught the correct way to write I taught myself, now I believe I am too old to write correctly. Paul

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsrd2,
I suspected I might have dyslexia, but never been checked. I am to old (seventy-two) to change now. If you wish I will unsubscribe. Paul

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I most certainly do not want you to unsubscribe. We are happy and willing to help anyone and everyone, whether they are learning English as a foreign language or they are someone whose native language is English but who hasn't learnt to use the language correctly. Of course, dyslexia is an added challenge but the symptoms of dyslexia vary from one person to the next.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

One thing that will help you is to simply write shorter sentences and shorter paragraphs.

Keep one idea in one paragraph.

I admire you for wanting to improve your writing, no matter how old you are.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
Excellent point. I always put down a subject, but I then ramble on with my thoughts. It's like my rambling is the subject I am trying to talk about. This is with e-mail and all threads. I never think about order just my thoughts. Paul

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word story comes back to haunt me. My thoughts seem unstructured with the words I use and the sentence alone. Yet it is the only way I can communicate when writing, I see a minor problem there and I call it rambling or carrying on, do you see it as well? That would not have anything to do with one's voice or writing style would it? Paul

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I see a minor problem there and I call it rambling or carrying on, do you see it as well? That would not have anything to do with one's voice or writing style would it? Paul
Yes, your posts do seem to be rambling, but there have been worse.
Of course it has to do with your writing style - that's what these posts are about. Most likely it follows your thinking style, as you say.

"I never think about order just my thoughts."
It might be impossible for you to put yourself in the readers' place. But that is ideally what you must do. If you want readers to follow you, and not be bored or confused (or whatever problem has prompted your question), you have to understand that the reader is not in your head. They can only understand what you are thinking by how you write (or speak). "Rambling on" does not always communicate a lot.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I use Grammarly and it helps me with grammar. More slowly than surely I will understand, but perfect I am not and the best I can do is to try my best, even with this handicap called voice or style. Thank you for your patience. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.