Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
When I am writing I seem to be more interested in just rambling than conversing with a reader. My ego seems to be trying to push me into rambling instead of writing about the subject. The subject in this writing is my rambling, instead of writing about the subject. Is it possible to check the original thought word with synonyms to shorten the sentence? Notice the words rambling and ego, I now am talking about a psychological problem I have and didn't notice it. I feel this sentence goes with this paragraph? Thoughts please. paul

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, my thoughts are that a psycho-analyst would appreciate your rambling, because that's the way they like it - it's called stream of consciousness. But even the great stream-of-consciousness writers like Joyce and Woolf censored their writing, and had the reader in mind.
It really depends on why you are writing at all. If it's for your own pleasure, then you can write how you like. Now, this might not apply to you, but I'll make some observations. A person who has little empathy with others, say a psychopath or an autistic person, or someone with Asperger's Syndrome, might have trouble putting their words into a form that others can appreciate, because you need to empathise with the person reading.
If you say you're not interested in conversing with a reader, why are you worried about this non-problem? Has someone said something to you about it? Do you think you would lead a richer life if you could communicate more effectively? But if you say you're not interested in conversing or communicating, what is the real problem? There is no existential reason that a person has to be a good writer if they aren't even interested in writing to others.
Perhaps I'm missing something. What is your motivation to write better?

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I love words and want to be understood and to be accepted by others. My father and mother were alcoholics, the words Aspergers syndrome and empathy sound right, but I was never diagnosed with that. Thanks, it's nice to know these things that I never dreamed of. I don't feel I am seeking sympathy, but I need to know these reasons, even in my late of life situation. I have allowed
myself to create my own handicap because of my not understanding of verbs and nouns called grammar. Thank you for helping me find out my reason for writing. Paul

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
You will never know how you just helped me find an emotional problem I have had for fifty-five years, I created my handicap when I was twelve.That problem is why I lived in an emotional hell of why my parents were alcoholics. I blamed myself for that and never knew why, now I do. For fifty-five years, I created my own handicap looking for sympathy and the answer which I found from you. and my question, why do I write? This thread is the reason.

But now have an idea which might help. I saw a member take a grammar sentence and break it down into mathematics, interesting way to learn. Grammarly also helps me understand grammar better. I can't thank you enough for helping me understand my problem which I created for fifty-five years. I am also learning to write correctly, have a long way to go but with the help of this forum I will. Your friend Paul

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,
I wrote because I was looking for an answer to my question why do I write. The above thread explains why thanks to you. all my life I have jumped the gun on anything I do and wind up screwing up. I am now studying why we use the words we use within a sentence. When writing I never think of the word I need where and when I need it, but when I need it, it is there, how come? It has to me a memory thing from reading in itself.

So I am studying why I do that and then the next thing is can I find a core word or a synonym that explains why I used that word in the first place. I feel words have to be involved in making the sentence understandable in the first place. I feel by dissecting the word and the sentence one understands the whole reason for writing in the first place. One idea per paragraph seems logical but using the word itself to a better understanding is better writing? Paul

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm glad you've found our answers helpful, Paul. In fact, I doubt whether you have any of the conditions I mentioned, though I agree it could be psychological. But your posts are not so difficult to understand. I think you might be giving yourself too hard a time about the issue. By all means continue with the learning, and post here if you have any specific problems with it. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.