Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm an English teacher working with especially adults learners (older than 25) I have taught them by some popular study books, but all of them are with pictures, games etc. I see that they don't like it. I provide them with many useful additional materials, but I want to find a real, non-childish study book to teach them. Can you give any advice regarding this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many teachers (myself included when I used books) recommend Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" and "Essential Grammar in Use".

Look HERE.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have used the "Clear Grammar' series by Keith Folse, the "Ventures" series by Cambridge University Press, the "New Grammar in Action" series by Baraba Foley and Elizabeth Neblet, and the "Basic English Grammar" series by Betty Azar. (I'm drawing a complete blank on the name of yet another series I've used....).

These are all based on AmE usage. I like some aspects of them, and dislike others, so I tend to mix and match. A good text (in my opinion), has a strong blend of grammar explanation and exercises, supplemented heavily with speaking and listening exercises. Some of the books above have little in way of speaking or listening, which is why I supplement or mix and match.

Status
Not open for further replies.