Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I know the expression "the chords of (my) heart" is well know and used, but i was wondering if the word "chords" may also collocate with "soul". I've googled it and it seems to work, but it sounds quite odd to me, since a sould isn't really made of chords

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I know the expression "the chords of (my) heart" is well known and used (no comma here) but I was wondering if the word "chords" may also collocate with "soul". I've googled it and it seems to work (no comma here) but it sounds quite odd to me (no comma here) since a [strike]sould[/strike] soul isn't really made of chords.

I have never heard the phrase "the chords of my heart" and when I Googled it, I only got song lyrics. Where did you find it? Why do you think it's more logical to use "chords of my heart" than "chords of my soul"? Neither of them is made of chords. In fact, the soul (if it exists) is not 'made' of anything and the heart is made of muscle and membrane.

lupo.hp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Well, I thought "chords" referred to the "heart" might be linked to the fact the heart is actually made of fibres, or "strings" (but I now assume I came up with this solution since the italian word -yes, I'm Italian- "corda", very similar to "chord", can be used to indicate the strings of a heart. And yes, I've read it in song lyrics and poetry. + since I'm a songwriter, I was planning to use "chords of my soul" in a song of mine.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We "tug on someone's heart strings" but it's nothing to do with "chords". Perhaps you meant "cords".

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's also possible to strike a chord with somebody, which would mean to say or do something that speaks directly to that person's emotions, memories or feelings. It might be close to your idiom in Italian, at least in Russian it is.

lupo.hp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I'm afraid emsr2d2 was right... i meant "cords". Would this make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.