Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If the teachers here said that their answers were reliable, would you think that they were blowing their own trumpet?

You don't compare people with answers, you compare like with like.
I feel skeptical when someone tells me that he is good, reliable, competent, etc. It is alright to be factual, saying one has won awards, prestigious contracts, etc. People are more impressed with facts and what others say about you or your company rather than you about yourself. This is my opinion.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You don't compare people with answers, you compare like with like.
The company provides reliable products and the teachers provide reliable answers, so they are comparable.
Not a teacher.
I feel skeptical when someone tells me that he is good, reliable, competent, etc.
Whether you are skeptical is beside the point. Whether it is grammatically understandable is the point.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It would be naive to think that writing for a company prospectus is just about being grammatical and getting understood.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am naive enough to know that this site is a language forum instead of a commercial forum.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The company provides reliable products and the teachers provide reliable answers, so they are comparable.
Not a teacher.

You know a product is reliable because you have used it or you have heard from others who have used it.
You know a company(or teachers for that matter) is reliable because you have dealt with the company or have heard favourable feedback from others who have used the company.
Would you think a new company is reliable just because they told you so?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would let the matter drop, because it has nothing to do with English learning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the teachers here said that their answers were reliable, would you think that they were blowing their own trumpet?

Well, I have been known to say: "Don't take my word for it."

I don't think any of the teachers on here are the sort to brag about their expertise. As for me, I know my strengths and weaknesses, and I will tell people what they are.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.