How to learn english !

Status
Not open for further replies.

janelove

Member Type
English Teacher
:hi: Here is a little help for you:

How to master the English language - A learner looks at how he learned English.
How to become fluent in speaking and writing - A look at how you can improve these skills.
How to Improve your English with English writing software
Taking Control of English - Tips on how you can speak and communicate better in English.
Learning Vocabulary [PDF] - Some suggestions about learning vocabulary
Language Tips - A selection of short tips on various aspects of the English language, with examples.

Hope that helps. ;-)

Added:

To read PDF files you need to install the free Adobe Reader software: Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

Wow :) Thanks. Great collection. I'll actually put them in in the next study sheet for my students.

jane

Last edited:

Stromgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the best way to learn is when you have fun. When I came here on this forum I was amused when someone told me a funny answer. I don't know what most people think about it? Perhaps, I better off to ask anybody who comes at that forum.

AmyCheng

Member Type
Student or Learner
can anyone check this? i know it is a lot errors

:cry::cry::-(We were always handing together to have the good times. We were always shopping together and have a description about the fashion. My friends can find out my emotion very easily. We will share either bad or happiness events. If I have any problem that I need help; they will help me what every they can help me. I remember how my friends helped me when my car was get in troubled. He comes in 15 minutes after I have called him. He helps me to moved the car away to a center form the driving road. It’s a difficult thing to live with out friends.

batheeb

Member Type
Student or Learner
thanks so much for this beneficial article.

I appreciate this help.

AnnaJ

Member Type
Student or Learner
When it comes to learning new vocabulary, I find it really important to learn good spelling as well. It's quite difficult and time consuming. What helps me a lot is this little program: http://pfquizzz.4fips.com ,which allows me to practise my vocabulary regularly for a couple of minutes a day. You might find it useful as well...

supada

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
United States
When it comes to learning new vocabulary, I find it really important to learn good spelling as well. It's quite difficult and time consuming. What helps me a lot is this little program: http://pfquizzz.4fips.com ,which allows me to practise my vocabulary regularly for a couple of minutes a day. You might find it useful as well...

I took a peek at your recommended site. Thank you. :up:

gacon

Member Type
Other
Hi every one,

I also want to improve my english. I think it is better to share the opinion and we can correct our writting and learn from each other.

janetlalbag

Member Type
Student or Learner
Tips for learning English

1. Learning a language means learning a skill, not acquiring knowledge. You test your command of a foreign language by your ability to perform in it, not by how much you know about it. Performance refers to your ability to understand, speak, read and write. Knowledge refers mainly to grammar rules and vocabulary.

2. So avoid reading anything that you know is too difficult for you. Reading should be a pleasure, so the texts should be within your range.

3. If you read enough, you will find that you will acquire a large vocabulary without needing to turn to the dictionary all the time.

4. If you are reading an argument, make notes on the points 'for' and 'against'. Once you have these notes, use them to give a little talk in English which attempts to recreate what you have just read. Alternatively, use the notes to 'say the text to yourself' as a mental exercise. You will soon get into the habit of not only reading in English, but thinking in English as well. Thinking in a foreign language is an indispensable requirement of fluency.

5. You should read as widely as you can. You don't want to read pieces which are mainly about language and language learning, so try to read articles in general magazines (either local or international).

6. The best way to give up smoking is to stop smoking cigarettes, etc. The best way to eat less is to start eating less. The best way to read an article is to read it.

7. Writing a summary of something you have read is excellent practice.

8. Keeping a diary is an excellent way of improving your written English for the following reasons:

1. It is constant practice.
2. You are writing about true experiences.
3. Writing a diary gives you constant practice in three writing styles: narration, description and reflection.​

9. Remember, there are two kinds of vocabulary: receptive and productive. Receptive vocabulary refers to the words you can recognize and understand but can't necessarily use. Productive vocabulary refers to the words you know and can use with confidence.

10. It's totally pointless learning grammar for its own sake.

11. Sentence structure is the way we show the relationship between ideas and events.

12. The most important thing to do with a dictionary is really to use it, above all when you are reading. Use it till you know your way round it and enjoy what it offers you.

13. Reading a newspaper is the very best thing you can do to improve your English. Don't set yourself too much reading so you become discouraged. Read a little from a nespaper every day. It will put you in touch with a whole range of subjects in good modern English.

14. I would say you have to discount your native language. Interference from your native language is the biggest barrier to acquisition. ... You have to unlearn the habits you have acquired in your native language in order to master the habit you need to speak a foreign language. This is very difficult and accounts for the different foreign varieties of English you hear round the world ( Frenglish, Spanglish, Chinglish, etc. ): the native language is asserting itself in English and 'interfering' with acquisition. Interference occurs in all areas: pronunciation, stress and intonation, grammar, vocabulary as well as ways of thinking, ways of problem-solving. Even misunderstandings among nations are often the direct product of this kind of interference.

15. Listening comprehension is the key to the command of any foreign language. That's one of the reasons why it's so difficult to learn on your own.

16. Any communicative or practical use of English is better than tudying grammar for its own sake. ... Whatever you do, don't study grammar in isolation.

By L.G. Alexander

Here is website I’ve found called www●vocabularywiki●com that contains many tips and materials for learning English

nrj207

Member Type
Other
A great way to learn English fast is to travel to a country where English is the native language, such as the U.S.

english checker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re: How can i find ...?

Hello. Thanks for forum would you pleas introduce me a software that corrects my faults of writing English? or How can i check my english writings in this forum?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: How can i find ...?

Hello. Thanks for forum would you pleas introduce me a software that corrects my faults of writing English? or How can i check my english writings in this forum?

You can try something like Whitesmoke, but there's no software yet that will correct all writing errors. You can put writing in the Writing section and people may comment. However, there is no guarantee as people here are volunteers doing things out of interest. If you are in a hurry, then it would be better to go to a paying proof-reading site where you will have guaranteed time as you will be hiring them. There are some here:

Proofreading - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com

kevchua

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there,

Well, if you'd like to learn English, I've created a blog for learners and enthusiasts too. There are various categories. You might want to check it out here and see if it helps. Leave some feedback if you're there so that I could improve on it. Thanks.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.