• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A mystery...

Read this by Mother Teresa:

"Where there is a mystery, there must be faith. Faith you cannot change, no matter how you look at it. Either you have it, or you don't."

I know that "Where there is a will, there is a way." means as long as you have strong will, you'll find a way to reach a certain goal. And I know "Where there is smoke, there is fire." means there must be a reason for a result. But can anybody explain to me what Mother Teresa meant by "Where there is a mystery, there must be faith."? This is really a mystery to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A mystery...

A mystery is something that is hidden or unknown. We usually use it to mean something that we don't understand, but in its religious sense it means something that you can't understand with reason, unless God tells you directly.

Faith is belief in something without any evidence. Isaac Asimov, a scientist, said that he believed that science would one day be able to explain everything, but he couldn't prove it -- he had faith. (He was explaining why he respected most people's religious beliefs even though he was a scientist and an atheist.) When a religious person talks about faith, they usually mean belief in God (or a god of some sort): you can't prove God exists, but you believe it.

Mother Theresa links the two. If there is mystery -- if there is something that you cannot possibly understand by logic or reason, something that you cannot prove but which nevertheless exists -- you must have faith to be able to deal with the mystery. So she really means it quite literally: if there is a mystery, there must also be faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A mystery...

"In the New Testament, the word mystery refers to God's plan for the redemption of the world through Christ, a plan that is hidden from the understanding of unbelievers but revealed to those who have faith (see Ephresians 1:9-10)." http://mb-soft.com/believe//text/sacramen.htm