The primary purpose of the passage is to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I had a problem with a question from the following reading comprehension, from "The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2015". Would you please help. I am sorry that the question is long but I really need help. Thanks a lot.

Reading:
Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes) has become a goal for companies worldwide, with many realizing significant cost savings from such innovations. Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt see this development as laudable but suggest that simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future. Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of producats manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard; indeed, most companies invest in ecoefficiency improvements in order to increase profits and growth. Moreover, there is no guarantee that increased economic growth from ecoefficiency will come in similarly ecoefficient ways, since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries. Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy. Senge and Carstedt argue that to preserve the global environment and sustain economic growth,
businesses must develop a new systemic approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste. Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

Question:
5) The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) explain why a particular business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated
(B) propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage
(C) present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy
(D) make a case for applying a particular business strategy on a larger scale than is currently practiced
(E) suggest several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy

My Option:
I checked A and it is wrong. The correct answer is C. The author has explain, "The passage never discusses whether ecoefficiency is or is not successful but only the possible consequences of it.", so this explanation is not convincing for me, because I think while the reading is discussing that ecoefficiency is not a good option and conclude some problems such as: worseing environmental stresses in the future, doing not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard; so it means that passage is discussing that ecoefficiency is not successful.
So, I thing that the we cannot conclude from the author's explanations that A is wrong.

Am I wrong? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
why a particular business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated
"A" is about the present results of past/existing strategies.

(C) concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy
"C" is about the potential (future) consequences of pursuing certain strategies.

In my view, "C" is the correct answer and here's why:

simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future.

there is no guarantee that ... will come in similarly ecoefficient ways

ecoefficient industrial system could, ... generate more total waste and destroy more habitat

Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, ... may distract companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot. Your explanation is convincing for me.

More, Would you please discuss the author's comment about the cause that A is fault. He said: "The passage never discusses whether ecoefficiency is or is not successful but only the possible consequences of it." Is he right? I think that the reading has discussed ecoefficiency is/will unsuccessful and he is wrong. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The passage never discusses whether ecoefficiency is or is not successful

I somewhat agree with you, as I think that "never" is incorrect here because the author does allude to possible successes from ecoefficiency.

For example:
with many realizing significant cost savings from such innovations.

Nevertheless, "A" is still the wrong answer!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.