Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My friends I have been diagnosed with Dilexia. A reading and writing handicap at seventy two years of age. With that said I cannot continue being a member. I thank all of you for your patient's (?) and understanding. I cannot ask you to step out of your expertise area and try to help me overcome this handicap. God bless all of you. I will remember your patient's (?) and understanding. I will unsubscribe in three days. pauljames@brmemc.net

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean dyslexia? I don't understand why that would interfere with your membership here.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree, you've been reading and posting for several weeks now, even though you already had dyslexia. The diagnosis doesn't mean it's suddenly going to get worse. If you were previously able to post with it, you should still be able to do so.

Dyslexia is notoriously difficult to diagnose, but it doesn't suddenly set on, or get progressively worse. If you have it, you've had it for long time. It is a learning disorder, but it's not a disease, and doesn't get more severe.

If anything, an actual diagnosis for dyslexia is good, because once it's identified, you know what steps to take, and there is a wealth of information available on how to compensate for and overcome its effects.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Handicap comes to mind with the word envy. I am envious of your gift, but I am driven to believe I am haunted by the words called handicap and perfect. What I missed in my life also haunts me, friends and people I could have learned from, because of my low self esteem of myself. I am seventy two, that in itself shows me what I have missed in my life. A Zebra cannot change it's spots. Because of my now handicap I am cemented to (my way) of writing. It isn't fair to this forum to coach me at this late date. I envy your patients and understanding, but I can learn at this stage of the situation, maybe by voice and compensate for this disibility?

Thoughts please?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a psychologist, but your recent posts remind me of someone who is depressed. Have you reached out for help? You might be amazed at how much better you could feel.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My boss is my wife she did work in a mental recovering job and she is good. Unconsciously I am depressed because I am trying desperately to find the true me or why am I here? I names my reasons to the subject called enlightenment. Maybe I fear I am close to death and want to feel better about myself before I depart. They say people know there time is at hand.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, whatever is going on with you, I hope you will stay enrolled with us.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, PJ!
How are you today?

:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are leaving because you have dyslexia, I would encourage you to stay.
If you are leaving because you feel you are close to death and there are better things to do with your time, then I probably agree with your decision to leave the forum. You have made it to 72 years of age without needing to stress yourself about grammar and the correctness of your writing. Perhaps you would be better spending the rest of your life (which I hope is a long time) having fun and not worrying about 'handicaps' and perfection.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I have found a interesting game called Mad lib. It's where you put a word in a sentence and put a sentence in a paragraph. Because I am always wondering what is the next word in this sentence and what is the next sentence in this paragraph. I always complain about how to do this and learn more on how to be a good writer. Not only does this game help with words but with sentences to. Thank you all for you nice greetings about my health. It has given me a better outlook and positive thought.

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am fine. I found a new game where

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You appear to have hit "Post Reply" before finishing your sentence, Paul.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have found a software that when one words is found, it gives all synonyms plus (verbs,nouns and antonyms). The synonyms are in a tree fashion. This to be seems to help the writer find greater words to use in a search. Could this avenue be accepted as another way of better writing a story? Paul

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It might be helpful.

Status