Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: arm to arm

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Post Thanks / Like

    arm to arm


    Is there any specific language term for phrases like that:

    arm to arm
    hand in hand
    face to face
    mother and child
    town and country
    church and state

    given the fact that these are deprived of any articles?

    Ellipsis, collocations...?

    Thank you, Ewelina

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor,
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: arm to arm

    They are collocations, and in some cases there could be ellipsiis too, but I don't know of a special term.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts