[Cover Letter] Need Help in writing Letter of Motivation for Ph.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagar Gandhi

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello, My name is Sagar Gandhi. These days, I am applying for Ph.D. positions in Europe - especially Germany and Switzerland. Letter of Motivation is one of the very important aspect, it can make/break my application.

I have written a Letter of Motivation, to be specific, this is 5th revision. I am struggling to write it because

• I do not have great grades. I thought of diving deep in the area that I liked. So could not concentrate on all the subjects.
  • I have experience in 3 different fields of Computer Science- Operating Systems, Computer Graphics and Computer Vision. During last three years, I have worked 14-16 hrs. a day, therefore I could master these fields. It might be unbelievable or might sound as a self bragging, which of course, I do not want. So I am struggling with what to include and what not to. My research experience is only in Computer Vision & Machine Learning and this is the field I have decided to work on during my Ph.D.

################################## Letter of Motivation ###################################
Introduction and Motivation

My long and enjoyable interaction with Computer Science goes back one decade when I first learned to program. Before B.Sc., my motivation in studying computer science was its formal, rigorous mathematical nature. The analogy of mathematics with real world fascinated me since childhood. Enjoying the journey, passing a very competitive national exam, I got admitted to Interdisciplinary School of Scientific Computing for M.Sc. where I got a completely different perspective of the Computers, Mathematics and Application in real world. I was naturally attracted to the world of Computer Vision and Graphics. I have been working in the Computer Vision area since past three years. Below, I touch on some contributions I made during this time. My main research interests are related to #################
My motivation for pursuing research related to Computer Vision stems from learning about challenges of real world, and intuitive feeling that I have the potential to change the way people interact with visual data. I aspire to develop intelligent algorithms that perform visual perception tasks such as human motion recognition, scene understanding, etc.

Research Experience
As a full time researcher at Persistent Systems – LABS, taking first step towards my goals, I started with research problem of Human Action Recognition. I have devised a new way of solving this problem which produces 82% accuracy. This method has roots in human body kinematics and particle motion from Computer Graphics. This algorithm is used at present to demonstrate ability of our group at Persistent LABS. I have mastered Machine Learning techniques as a prerequisite. In next two months, I am going to publish library based on Neural Networks. I feel the need for this library because it will enable the researchers to do trial and errors with fusing different types of Networks. In another project, while working on remote sensing, I successfully invented a new method, which detects power lines from HD-Camera of UAV in real-time using Kalman Filter. This will be used as-is in in “IndiaSmartCities” project to test the potential.

I also hold a strong command over 3D Graphics. I have worked on GPU device driver, have wrote my own game engine for Android using OpenGL ES 2.0. During masters I gained valuable experience on Operating System Development.

Teaching and Leadership
Teaching comes to me naturally; my mother has been a teacher for twenty two years. While in masters, I have taught Mathematics to senior high school students. They found it very motivating and appreciated the fact that I always enjoy explaining ‘How real world is full of Mathematics’. I have mentored two M.Tech students completing their project work and am leading a team of three people at Persistent, deciding their approach towards a research problem. In general, my juniors in college, friends find me very motivating and person with a positive attitude.

Why #### LABS/Department/Group

##### Depending upon group/lab these things vary a lot. But in general, I will browse through their publications and will read at least one paper related to my interests and will mention the same. Also, I will mention a name of the person I would like to work with. I am very confused about how to mention what I will contribute to this particular group/lab.####
Conclusion

For me, problem solving is an experience unmatched by anything else. It would give me immense pleasure to be able to contribute something to this subject. My experience reflects few open problems which motivated me, and I will continue to work on. In addition, as happened frequently at ######, interacting with the members of your group will give me invaluable opportunity to broaden my horizons, and work in many research areas that I cannot anticipate at the moment. Having decided that I will engage in a career in research, I am aware of the kind of dedication, resilience and resolve I will have to show over the years. I feel that I am adequately prepared for that, both in having the technical qualifications and the right mind-set for doctoral level research.

######################################################################################

Above is the LoM I could come up with. I need your help in fine-tuning it. I have written whatever has come to me naturally. I have not tried to use fancy/difficult words. So this letter may not be crisp. Please comment your views on SOP. It may be the case that I have told few things which are not necessary at all and something may be important to mention but I have not mentioned it. So, if you need to know more about me, please refer to http://sagar-gandhi.me/Sagar_Gandhi_Resume_2.pdf

I have invented two things through original research but have not yet published a paper. Because - The journals I am targeting have next deadlines of around December and I do not want to publish in low-valued journals. Please suggest how to mention this in LoM/ CV.

Please help, as I do not have a strong network who will be able to review and draft my work.
I appreciate you taking the time reading this. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Sagar Gandhi

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Introduction and Motivation

My long and enjoyable interaction with computer science goes back one decade when I first learned to program. [STRIKE]Before B.Sc.,[/STRIKE] My initial motivation in studying computer science was its formal, rigorous and mathematical nature. The [STRIKE]analogy[/STRIKE] concept of applying mathematics [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] in the real world has fascinated me since childhood. [STRIKE]Enjoying the journey,[/STRIKE] After passing a very competitive national exam, I got admitted to the Interdisciplinary School of Scientific Computing for the M.Sc. program, where I got a completely different perspective of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] computers and mathematics and their application in the real world. I was naturally attracted to the world of computer vision and graphics. I have been working in the computer vision area [STRIKE]since[/STRIKE] for the last [STRIKE]past[/STRIKE] three years. [STRIKE]Below, I touch on some contributions I made during this time.[/STRIKE] My main research interests are related to #################

My motivation for pursuing research related to computer vision stems from seeking to find solutions to practical problems[STRIKE]learning about challenges of real world[/STRIKE], and my intuitive feeling that I have the potential to change the way people interact with visual data. I aspire to develop intelligent algorithms that perform visual perception tasks such as human motion recognition, scene understanding ... etc.

Research Experience
As a full time researcher at Persistent Systems – LABS, taking the first step towards my goals, I started with researching the problem of Human Action Recognition. I have devised a new way of solving this problem [STRIKE]which produces[/STRIKE] with 82% accuracy. This method has roots in human body kinematics and particle motion from computer graphics. This algorithm is used at present to demonstrate [STRIKE]ability of[/STRIKE] our group's ability and achievement at Persistent LABS. I have mastered machine learning techniques in preparation for my future research work, and [STRIKE]as a prerequisite.[/STRIKE] in next two months, I am going to publish a library based on neural networks. I feel the need for this library because it will enable [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] researchers to do trial and error work with fusing different types of networks. In another project, while working on remote sensing, I successfully invented a new method, which detects power lines from a HD camera of UAV in real time using a Kalman filter. This will be used as is [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] in an “IndiaSmartCities” project. [STRIKE]to test the potential.[/STRIKE]

I also [STRIKE]hold[/STRIKE] have a strong [STRIKE]command over[/STRIKE] understanding of 3D graphics. I have worked on GPU device drivers [STRIKE]have wrote[/STRIKE] and written my own game engine for Android using OpenGL ES 2.0. Additionally, during my masters degree, I gained valuable experience [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in operating system development.

Teaching and Leadership
Teaching comes naturally to me; my mother has been a teacher for twenty two years. [STRIKE]While in[/STRIKE]During my masters, I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] taught mathematics to senior high school students. They found it very motivating and appreciated the fact that I always enjoyed explaining how the real world is full of mathematics. I have mentored two M.Tech students [STRIKE]completing[/STRIKE] with their project work and am currently leading a team of three people at Persistent. [STRIKE], deciding their approach towards a research problem.[/STRIKE] In general, my [STRIKE]juniors in college,[/STRIKE] friends and colleagues find me very motivating and a person with a positive attitude.

Why #### LABS/Department/Group

##### Depending upon group/lab these things vary a lot. But in general, I will browse through their publications and will read at least one paper related to my interests and will mention the same. Also, I will mention a name of the person I would like to work with. I am very confused about how to mention what I will contribute to this particular group/lab.####

Conclusion

For me, problem solving is an experience unmatched by anything else. It would give me immense pleasure to be able to contribute something to this subject. My experience reflects few open problems which motivated me, and which I will continue to work on. In addition, as happened frequently at ######, interacting with the members of your group will give me an invaluable opportunity to broaden my horizons and work in many exciting areas of research. [STRIKE]areas that I cannot anticipate at the moment.[/STRIKE] Having decided that I will engage in a career in research, I am aware of the kind of dedication, resilience and resolve I will have to show. [STRIKE]over the years.[/STRIKE] I feel that I am adequately prepared for that, both in having the technical qualifications and the right mindset for doctoral level research.

I have invented two things through original research but have not yet published a paper. Because - The journals I am targeting have next deadlines of around December and I do not want to publish in low-valued journals. Please suggest how to mention this in LoM/ CV.

Through original research, I also have two inventions to my name which I expect to be published in prestigious journals in 2016.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I did not understand the text highlighted in blue. Consider deleting it.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.