Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I love words. I am sometimes mystified about what the next word is going to be in my first draft. I am not perfect and that word haunts me. I want this forum to be my friend with faults and all. I believe in orderly form writing but with millions of voices which voice is orderly? I am drawn to free writing to a point, that point being the order the writer uses. Can I push the order envelope to step outside the order form and use ones own voice? I see two sentence, when writing one sentence, the subject and the predicate.

What irritates me is using the subject then the predicate, both words describe meaning. It's like using meaning twice in the same sentence. I sense you only need one meaning for the subject or the predicate. Edit please

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
John's dog is yellow

Just to show you how slow I am to grasp other peoples understanding, I finally figure out the subject and predicate when being used. Johns dog is yellow. There is the subject called Johns dog and the predicate is yellow? So there is two meanings in that sentence?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Enlightment.

Actually, the predicate consists of the verb 'is' as well as the adjective 'yellow'. More specifically, 'yellow' is referred to as a predicate adjective.

But yes, you've basically got the gist of it. Anything which isn't part of the subject is the predicate.

Since 'John's' is a possessive adjective modifying the subject 'dog', it is, as you said, still part of the subject.

I'm not sure how you see it as two meanings, however. There's only one meaning -namely that John has a yellow dog.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by two meanings. The predicate is simply giving you additional information or details about the subject. What the subject is doing, how it's doing it, etc.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Enlightment.

Paul, you keep naming your threads "enlightenment". That will make it impossible to search the threads. Please give them unique titles, using words from your actual question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: John's dog is yellow

As Mike said, you need to give your posts more individual titles so they can be easily found. I have changed the title of this one for you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have merged these two threads as they both deal with your query about whether a predicate has two meanings.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I think 'subject and predicate' would have been a better title for this thread instead of 'the love of writing'.

Status
Not open for further replies.