Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you are asking if we speak of 'cousin brothers' and 'cousin sisters' the answer is "No".
Those are accepted terms where I am from.
How do you distingush between male and female cousins then? Or you don't?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
So it is a direct translation from our native language.

kyawwin

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Then what expression can we use to distinguish male cousins from female ones?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, often the context or the cousin's name will provide a clue to gender, but as Piscean has mentioned, English doesn't normally bother with the distinction that other languages may make.

Czech also has separate words for a male or female cousin. Some languages even differentiate between relations from your father's side and your mother's side. Arabic for instance, distinguishes between paternal and maternal grandparents, and even male and female paternal and maternal cousins.

I have a few Burmese students, and I was unaware it made the distinction. I'm glad to have read your post, as I learned something new.

Kyawwin, you list your native language as Burmese - do you happen to know if this male/female cousin distinction also exists in some of the other languages of Burma, such as Arakanese and the Karen languages?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Some languages even differentiate between relations from your father's side and your mother's side.
That is the case in my native language, but I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

kyawwin

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
I don't know the languages of other ethnic groups in my country, but in Myanmar ( Burmese) , there is a clear distinction in referring to your elder male cousin or younger male cousin.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The terms "cousin brother/sister" are widely used in Indian (South Asian) English.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
In my experience, the English-speaking world just tends to focus more on distance between relatives. As Skrej said, if we need more clarity we'll use a name, such as "My cousin Andy".

We also talk about "first" and "second cousins" and even "second cousins twice removed".

We occasionally say, "My paternal grandmother", or "My maternal aunt", but that would probably be at wider family gatherings where you are trying to explain how you fit in.

Isn't there some kind of joke about this sort of thing in English, along the lines of "My cousin's sister's brother"? I think the subject ends up being the speaker themselves.

I wish I could remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.