Is it a must to use legal name for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I agree on usage with nicknames, but that is the point. The OP doesn't want a nickname (informal), she wants to use a formal alias.

In my experience of BrE we would tend to use a formal replacement forename just as if it were our proper forename, both in speech and writing.

With nicknames, typically in BrE we would put them in the middle too, like AmE.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with it being used either way, I'm just saying how I have mainly seen formal aliases used.

I also think the OP should speak to her employer and consult legal advice.

Skrej's point near the start of the thread is that anyone can call themselves anything they want, but as others have said there may be legal implications.

A recent example of how using another name can cause problems is the case of the woman who called herself "Jemmaroid Von Laalaa".
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...deed-poll-to-log-in-to-facebook-10384453.html

Obviously, with things such as contracts the legal implications may be far worse.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am wondering if Walter Andrew "Bubby" Brister sign off and name written in a legal document is Bubby Brister, or James Earl "Jimmy" Carter sign off and name written in a legal document is Jimmy Carter, would it be a valid legal document?

Bubby signed autographs for fans as "Bubby Brister," but I imagine he signed his paycheks and legal documents as Walter.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I understand these letters aka means also known as.

I am wondering if aka is also appropriate to be used for names? If yes, how do you write it?

Does anyone write something like:
Neram Mihaiki Smith aka Sharon Smith
Neram Mihaiki "aka Sharon" Smith
Neram Mihaiki Smith (aka Sharon)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, those are OK, goodstudent, thought the inverted commas in #2 are unnecessary.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would not use "aka". At least in AmE, that abbreviation is most often used for criminal aliases.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Skrej's point near the start of the thread is that anyone can call themselves anything they want, but as others have said there may be legal implications.

Skrej was being flippant, in an attempt to imply that this wasn't the place to ask such a legally serious question. Hence the 'not a lawyer/not an IRS agent' disclaimer.

I also think the OP should speak to her employer and consult legal advice.

Yes, the only person you should ask about legal matters is a lawyer, and then only one you've paid or is being paid to counsel you.

Save the internet for gardening tips and cat pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.