Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

I would like to ask somebody to help me with the bold text.

Everybody was there, and there was a general closing up of ranks and taking stock of our losses in dead or disabled that had fallen during the past year. It was a very wet night, and I remember that we sang 'Auld Lang Syne' with our feet in the Polo Championship Cup, and our heads among the stars, and swore that we were all dear friends. Then some of us went away and annexed Burma, and some tried to open up the Soudan and were opened up by Fuzzies in that cruel scrub outside Suakim, and some found stars and medals, and some were married, which was bad, and some did other things which were
worse, and the others of us stayed in our chains and strove to make money on insufficient experiences.

(Not sure if it is a metaphor or if there were really some decoration stars hanging from the ceiling)

Rudyard Kipling, The Mark Of The Beast

Thanks

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hi Johnyxxx,

Yes, I think it is a metaphor used here to mean that they had such a great time they forgot the troubles of their daily lives.

Others may see it differently.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Not a teacher.

It is same as "to be on cloud nine" which means to be extremely happy about something
From what i gather here it means they were proud of their achievement (probably they have won a war or something)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is the same as "to be on cloud nine" which means to be extremely happy about something.
From what I gather here it means they were proud of their achievement (probably they have won a war or something).
Always capitalise 'I' and end every sentence with the appropriate punctuation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.