Post Thanks / Like

Default Macbeth essay, 1st paragraph.

Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can quitely skim through this short paragraph and point out what grammar mistakes I have. This is the 1st paragraph of images in Macbeth essay. Thanks alot.

Darkness, the predominate atmosphere of the play, is a symbolic representation of the residing evil. The imagery is foremost alluded in Macbeth’s rejection of “signs of nobleness” (1.4. 47) from Duncan. His appalling retort to Duncan’s speech is, “stars, hide your fires; / let not light see my black and deep desires” (1.4.50-51). His desires are the contemplations of murder and they are so terrible that only murkiness can accommodate them. This imagery is elucidated in Lady Macbeth for a similar purpose. During her unnerving soliloquy, Lady Macbeth requests the presence of gloominess so that her “keen knife see not the wound it makes, / nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark / to cry ‘Hold, hold’ ” (1.5.57-61). Thus, it can be seen that that characters in Macbeth calls on the villainous darkness to act as a blanket to hide their maleficus thoughts. On the night of Duncan’s murder, a night of great wickedness, darkness envelopes the sky. Banquo comments this blackness as “husbandry in heaven; / their candles are all out” (2.1.4-5). Even on the following day, “dark night strangles the traveling lamp” (2.4.7). Banquo’s murder, another major amoral event, has its shares in the gloomy atmosphere as well. It was carried out after Macbeth called the seeling night to “scarf up the tender eye of the pitiful day” (3.3 53). Hence, whenever evil occurs, it is portrayed by darkness.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Macbeth essay, 1st paragraph.

residing evil- I don't like this phrase that much- where is it residing? How about 'presence of evil''?
    allude- allude to
    characters in Macbeth calls- subject/verb agreement
    amoral- is this amoral or immoral- it strikes me as the latter
    has its shares in the gloomy atmosphere- I'd change the verb- I'm not exactly sure what you aim to say, but do you mean something like 'adds'
    Macbeth called- called on?
    seeling night- spelling- you're not quoting here (I believe some texts do spell it 'seeling', but 'sealing' looks better to me, unless you put inverted commas around it too)

BTW, you seem to have a good appreciation of the play; the quotes you use seem well-chosen.