Name the part of speech of each italicized word in the following sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebe heart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Qatar
Still waters run deep.(adjective)
He still lives in that house.(adverb)

After storm comes th calm.(preposition)
The After effects of drugs are bad.(preposition)
Are my answers correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Still waters run deep.(adjective)
He still lives in that house.(adverb)

After the storm comes the calm.(preposition)
The after-effects of drugs are bad.(preposition)
Are my answers correct?

The first 3 are correct, though please note my other corrections in red. #4 is odd. The word should be either "aftereffects" or "after-effects" - it's a single noun so I don't consider "after" to be a preposition. It's simply half of the noun. If that was a test question, it was a bad one.

bebe heart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Qatar
The first 3 are correct, though please note my other corrections in red. #4 is odd. The word should be either "aftereffects" or "after-effects" - it's a single noun so I don't consider "after" to be a preposition. It's simply half of the noun. If that was a test question, it was a bad one.
I wrote these sentences from a Grammar book.

bebe heart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Qatar
The up train is late.(adjective)
It weighs about a pound. (Verb)
Are these two correct?

bebe heart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Qatar
That book, first published in 1935, was based on an earlier work. Even though it has been updated from time to time, it is not a reliable guide for modern English.
Wow! Okay so should I get another book?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Piscean,
Which grammar books would you recommend to us for modern English?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The After effects of drugs are bad.(preposition)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Thank you, Bebe Heart, for asking this question. It forced me to do some research, so I learned something new today. I wanted to share the information with you.

As the teachers told us, "aftereffect" or "after-effect" is a noun. (Only my note: I believe it is a compound noun. That is, a noun that consists of two or more separate words.)

Here is what I learned from five scholars:

1. The word "after" is both a prefix and a preposition. (Only my note: It is perhaps more accurate to call it a prefix when it is the first part of a compound noun; if the word "after" stands alone, then it is called a preposition.)

a. Two scholars give these examples of its use as a prefix: aftermath, aftereffect, afternoon.

2. Three other scholars say that the prefix and the preposition "after" both express core [basic] meanings like 'subsequent [what follows] in shock' (aftershock [prefix], after the earthquake [preposition]."

3. Those three scholars add: But [my emphasis] the preposition also has specialized uses like "in imitation of" (a painter after Michelangelo).

Credit goes to: The Origins and Development of the English Language (2013) by Algeo and Butcher; The Oxford Reference Guide to English Morphology (2013) by Bauer, Lieber, and Plag. [Both books accessed through the "books" section of Google.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.