Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Verbal Reasoning

    Can any one help me

    The number codes 3152, 3455 and 5213 stand for three of the words MISS, SHAM, MASH and HAMS. Work out the code for each of the four words.

    In this example they are in order but in some question they are mentioning that they are not in order.

    Please can your help me on this question

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer.

    :?

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Verbal Reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by madhavi
    Can any one help me

    The number codes 3152, 3455 and 5213 stand for three of the words MISS, SHAM, MASH and HAMS. Work out the code for each of the four words.

    In this example they are in order but in some question they are mentioning that they are not in order.

    Please can your help me on this question
    This is a logic problem. You have four words in which the letters have been replaced by numbers. The fourth code number is unknown xxxx.

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3152 3455 5213 xxxx

    Notice that two of the words start with M and two of the numbers start with 3. That means that M = 3. The unknown cannot start with 3 because there aren't three words that start with the same letter. The unknown cannot start with 5 because there aren't two sets of words that start with the same letter. Of the two numbers that start with 3, only 3455 ends with a double number. This matches MISS. Therefore, I = 4 and S = 5. Also, MASH = 3152, so A = 1 and H =2. So, SHAM = 5213. That leaves HAMS for the unknown and that must be 2135. The final answer is:

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3455 5213 3152 2135

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use pencil and paper or did you do it all in your head?

    :wink:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Verbal Reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by madhavi
    Can any one help me

    The number codes 3152, 3455 and 5213 stand for three of the words MISS, SHAM, MASH and HAMS. Work out the code for each of the four words.

    In this example they are in order but in some question they are mentioning that they are not in order.

    Please can your help me on this question
    This is a logic problem. You have four words in which the letters have been replaced by numbers. The fourth code number is unknown xxxx.

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3152 3455 5213 xxxx

    Notice that two of the words start with M and two of the numbers start with 3. That means that M = 3. The unknown cannot start with 3 because there aren't three words that start with the same letter. The unknown cannot start with 5 because there aren't two sets of words that start with the same letter. Of the two numbers that start with 3, only 3455 ends with a double number. This matches MISS. Therefore, I = 4 and S = 5. Also, MASH = 3152, so A = 1 and H =2. So, SHAM = 5213. That leaves HAMS for the unknown and that must be 2135. The final answer is:

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3455 5213 3152 2135

    513 4 13 21-21

    :D

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm stumped. What is 513 4 13 21-21? (It looks like a phone number.)


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I'm stumped. What is 513 4 13 21-21? (It looks like a phone number.)

    When I was in elementary school, grade 6, we'd pass notes to each other in code. We'd use a basic ABC code, just like the one Mike cracked ( :D ) He-he. Try it. Match the numbers to their ABC symbols; you'll find a message there.

    :D

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Did you use pencil and paper or did you do it all in your head?

    :wink:
    Head. I loooooove logic puzzles. :wink:

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Verbal Reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by madhavi
    Can any one help me

    The number codes 3152, 3455 and 5213 stand for three of the words MISS, SHAM, MASH and HAMS. Work out the code for each of the four words.

    In this example they are in order but in some question they are mentioning that they are not in order.

    Please can your help me on this question
    This is a logic problem. You have four words in which the letters have been replaced by numbers. The fourth code number is unknown xxxx.

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3152 3455 5213 xxxx

    Notice that two of the words start with M and two of the numbers start with 3. That means that M = 3. The unknown cannot start with 3 because there aren't three words that start with the same letter. The unknown cannot start with 5 because there aren't two sets of words that start with the same letter. Of the two numbers that start with 3, only 3455 ends with a double number. This matches MISS. Therefore, I = 4 and S = 5. Also, MASH = 3152, so A = 1 and H =2. So, SHAM = 5213. That leaves HAMS for the unknown and that must be 2135. The final answer is:

    MISS SHAM MASH HAMS

    3455 5213 3152 2135

    513 4 13 21-21

    :D
    LOL! Very clever, Sam.

  10. #10
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Green eggs and ham, anyone?

    :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. any difference?
    By Taka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2004, 15:19
  2. Verbal confusion
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2004, 18:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •