Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Ethical ideas are present in all societies, organizations, and individual persons, although they may vary greatly from one to another. Your ethics may not be the same as your neighbor's; one particular religion's notion of morality may not be identical to another's'; and what is considered ethical in one society may be forbidden in another society.
These differences raise the important and controversial issue of ethical relativism, which holds that ethical principles should be defined in the context of various periods in history, a society's traditions, the special circumstances of the moment, or personal opinion. In this view, the meaning give to ethics would be relative to time, place, circumstance, and the person involved.

Which does this "in the context of" describe? Just "various periods in history" or the whole set of others until "personal opinion"? I'd like to know if it means like this.
==================================
Ethical principles should be defined
(in the context of ) various periods in history,
(in the context of )a society's traditions,
(in the context of )the special circumstances of the moment, or personal opinion.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe this is too complicated.

ach4124

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Not a teacher.

I believe you're right. I googled your sentence and found the original sentence '... the ethical principles should be defined by various periods of time in history, a society's traditions, the special circumstances of the moment, or personal opinion.' It seems that 'the ethical principles' are defined by the four things that follow.

I have no idea how to explain the difference between the two. Could other members help explain?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the "context" is understood by looking at all four of those factors.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please let me know where you found the original sentence. All I have is a printed material and I had a hard time typing into this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.