Words that sound alike, but are spelled differently?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 561,847
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I know antonym means opposite, synonym means similar. What's the term for words that sound alike, but are spelled differently and have entirely different meanings? Example: 'Breaks' and 'Brakes'???
Thanx! Bruce Pethel, Concord, NC [ Email Removed ]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BCP said:
I know antonym means opposite, synonym means similar. What's the term for words that sound alike, but are spelled differently and have entirely different meanings? Example: 'Breaks' and 'Brakes'???
Thanx! Bruce Pethel, Concord, NC [ Email Removed ]

Homophones

There are also homographs and homonyms

PS- if you register, you'll get automatic email notifications of replies. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll add it to the Glossary just as soon as I've sorted out the files on my computer. ;-)

L

Lynne Hand

Homophone vs Homonym

I always thought that homophones are words with different meanings that sound the same, but are spelt differently and homonyms are words with different meanings that sound different, but are spelt the same.

So a homophone would be - There was a mail from a male.
And a homonym would be - The bandage was wound around the wound.

:?

PS You can practice your homophones here.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Homophone vs Homonym

Lynne Hand said:
I always thought that homophones are words with different meanings that sound the same, but are spelt differently and homonyms are words with different meanings that sound different, but are spelt the same.

Yes, but homonym is also the name for the larger category. Thus, all homophones are homonyms, but not all homonyms are homophones. If you use homonym to talk about a subcategory of homonyms you create unnecessary confusion. After all, both homophones and homonyms are homonyms. That confusion is unnecessary because you can call that subcategory heteronyms, and that word is already in use.

:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And then there are the heterohomographonyms, but we'll leave them out of this. ;-)

K

khorshed303

What is the procedure of free hand writting development

Dear Sir,

I am not knowen what is the process of english free hand writting development. I am feeling very difficulty for that.

Please answar me.

Khorshed

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What is the procedure of free hand writting development

khorshed303 said:
Dear Sir,

I am not knowen what is the process of english free hand writting development. I am feeling very difficulty for that.

Please answar me.

• "I do not know what the process of English freehand writing development is. I am having much difficulty with that."

What is the question? Do you want to know about English freehand writing development? What is the assigment?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Getting spammy.... ???

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Homophone vs Homonym

RonBee said:
Lynne Hand said:

Yes, but homonym is also the name for the larger category. Thus, all homophones are homonyms, but not all homonyms are homophones. If you use homonym to talk about a subcategory of homonyms you create unnecessary confusion. After all, both homophones and homonyms are homonyms. That confusion is unnecessary because you can call that subcategory heteronyms, and that word is already in use.

I agree with you that this area of English is confusing. When one looks up "homonym" in the dictionary, one gets several definitions, all of which conflict with the others.

I favor your method. Make "homonym" the main category and have it mean words that sound alike, are spelled alike, or both. Under that, let's have:

1) homophone: words that sound alike, but are spelled differently.
2) homograph (also called heteronym): words that are spelled the same, but are pronounced differently
3) homomorph: words that are spelled the same and pronounced the same, but which have different meanings (and possibly different etymologies)

The word "homomorph" is not in wide usage yet, and some dictionaries use "homonym" for that use, but they also use homonym for homomorphs and homographs/heteronyms.

I prefer "homograph" to "heteronym" because of the name. "Homograph" means same writing, whereas "heteronym" means different name. Were it up to me, I would use "heteronym" for homomorphs that have different etymologies, but that would be far too confusing.

If the civilized world is not open to "homomorph", then an alternative plan would be to not have a main category and reserve "homonym" (same name) for homomorphs (same form), words spelled alike and which sound alike.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with you, Mike. Let's keep homonym as the main category but eliminate it as a subcategory. After the rules are established we will then make everybody else follow them.

:wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
I agree with you, Mike. Let's keep homonym as the main category but eliminate it as a subcategory. After the rules are established we will then make everybody else follow them.

OK. I'll go with you on this one. What do think about "homomorph"?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree with you to make homonym as the main category. This is how I teach myself. But I'm not sure if I get the idea of "homomorph", that is, homomorphs may pronounce the same but function differently.

boxes ==> plural suffix
catches ==> verb suffix to indicate third-person-singular

Is that right?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:

OK. I'll go with you on this one. What do think about "homomorph"?

It looks good to me. Now we'll have to get everybody else to agree.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
I agree with you to make homonym as the main category. This is how I teach myself. But I'm not sure if I get the idea of "homomorph", that is, homomorphs may pronounce the same but function differently.

boxes ==> plural suffix

Is that right?

No, I think those classifications would apply only to entire words, not suffixes. Here is Mike's definition of homomorph:
  • 3) homomorph: words that are spelled the same and pronounced the same, but which have different meanings (and possibly different etymologies)
I think one example might be fine. As an adjective it means apt or appropriate. Or it is a word that expresses agreement or approval. Example: "That is fine with me." As a noun, it is a penalty. Example: "The man had to pay a fine."

Mike, what do you think?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
blacknomi said:

boxes ==> plural suffix

Is that right?

No, I think those classifications would apply only to entire words, not suffixes. Here is Mike's definition of homomorph:
  • 3) homomorph: words that are spelled the same and pronounced the same, but which have different meanings (and possibly different etymologies)
I think one example might be fine. As an adjective it means apt or appropriate. Or it is a word that expresses agreement or approval. Example: "That is fine with me." As a noun, it is a penalty. Example: "The man had to pay a fine."

Mike, what do you think?

Yes, it is whole words.

duck - a bird
duck - an action

down - an adverb of direction
down - feathers

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you, Ron and Mike. I've added a new vocabulay to my linguistic knowledge.

homomorph=homonym+homograph

bat - a tool for table tennis
bat - an animal

:lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
Thank you, Ron and Mike. I've added a new vocabulay to my linguistic knowledge.

homomorph=homonym+homograph

bat - a tool for table tennis
bat - an animal

:lol:

Bingo! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.