Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi.. would appreciate if someone could check there is any grammatical error in it, thanks in advance.

Summary(shot)
Yang Yuhuan is fated to be a concubine to Emperor Tang after her husband, Prince Li Mao abandons her. But her joy of life seems short-lived when a rebellion against the Emperor takes place.

Summary(Long)
Yang Yuhuan is a wife of Prince Li Mao and the Emperor Tang Ming Huang’s daughter-in-law. When Prince Li’s mother, Wu commits suicide after her conspiracy against the Emperor fails, Yang is abandoned and is given to the Emperor in exchange for the crown prince. Their affection has been brought up through the political struggle and living together in the palace. But their happiness and good days do not last long when Lushan Rebellion breaks out.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Summary(shot)
Yang Yuhuan is fated to be a concubine to Emperor Tang after her husband, Prince Li Mao, abandons her. But her joy of life seems short-lived when a rebellion against the Emperor takes place.

Summary(Long)
Yang Yuhuan is a wife of Prince Li Mao and the Emperor Tang Ming Huang’s daughter-in-law. When Prince Li’s mother, Wu commits suicide after her conspiracy against the Emperor fails, Yang is abandoned and is given to the Emperor in exchange for the crown prince. Their affection has been brought up through the political struggle and living together in the palace. But their happiness and good days do not last long when the Lushan Rebellion breaks out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need a space before an opening bracket.
You misspelt "short".
How many wives did he have? If only one, then she is "the wife", not "a wife".
"Their affection has been brought up ..." is not natural. I would use something like "Their affection grew ...".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The emperors and princes of China in the old days were known to have many wives and concubines.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the old days of China, even ordinary men could have three wives and four concubines.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know that but that doesn't answer the question I posed to Gaya87. We need to know how many wives Prince Li Mao had.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
You misspelt "short".
"Their affection has been brought up ..." is not natural. I would use something like "Their affection grew ...".

If more then one shall I use as "a wife"?

This sounds good to me as well: Their affection grew through the political struggle..
Thanks for your feedback.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, Matthew, but do you think that you could hold fire in future and give OPs a chance to questions which were aimed directly at them? I would really like Gaya87 to re-engage with this thread.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks, Matthew, but do you think that you could hold fire in future and give OPs a chance to questions which were aimed directly at them? I would really like Gaya87 to re-engage with this thread.

By all your feedback & through the replies I'm learning many new words. Never heard the word "hold fire" before thanks Teacher (emsr2d2), I just googled and looked for the definition. I feel so good ever since came to this forum. Hope one day I can speak and write as native English speaker. Looking forward to learn more and more.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's good to know, Gaya87. Did you notice that I asked you a question in a earlier post (about the number of wives the prince had)? People who respond to threads frequently ask follow-up questions so it's a good idea to keep an eye on your own threads and answer any questions as soon as you can. You can check on threads you have posted (either asking a question or posting a response) by clicking on "Quick Links" at the top and then choosing "Subscribed Threads" from the dropdown list. If a post appears in bold, it means there is a new post in that thread so it's a good idea to click on it and read the new post(s).

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
You misspelt "short".

short-lived??? I don't see any spelling error in it? Can you please indicate further?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't say you misspelt "short-lived". I said you misspelt "short". In your first paragraph you had the word "shot" in brackets after the word "Summary". It should have been "short".

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
I didn't say you misspelt "short-lived". I said you misspelt "short". In your first paragraph you had the word "shot" in brackets after the word "Summary". It should have been "short".

Noted with thanks, Teacher. I overlooked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Noted with thanks, teacher. I overlooked that.

There is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.
In addition, please don't refer to users here as "Teacher". We just use usernames. Just call me emsr2d2.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
That's good to know, Gaya87. Did you notice that I asked you a question in a earlier post (about the number of wives the prince had)? People who respond to threads frequently ask follow-up questions so it's a good idea to keep an eye on your own threads and answer any questions as soon as you can. You can check on threads you have posted (either asking a question or posting a response) by clicking on "Quick Links" at the top and then choosing "Subscribed Threads" from the dropdown list. If a post appears in bold, it means there is a new post in that thread so it's a good idea to click on it and read the new post(s).

Thanks for this. I always find difficult to read my threads sometimes since unfamiliar with the tool bars. As of now, I will definitely follow the steps to read my new post. Once again thanks, emsr2ds.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
You misspelt "short".

He is having two wives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for this. I always find it difficult to [STRIKE]read[/STRIKE] find my threads [STRIKE]sometimes[/STRIKE] since I am unfamiliar with the tool bars. [STRIKE]As of now,[/STRIKE] From now on, I will definitely follow [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] those steps to read my [STRIKE]new[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]post[/STRIKE] threads. Once again thanks, emsr2d2.

He [STRIKE]is having[/STRIKE] had two wives.

See my amendments above.

In your second sentence, you used both "sometimes" and "always". It can't be both. Always write in full sentences.

Make sure you spell usernames correctly.

He had two wives. He existed in the past and is dead so the simple past is appropriate. "He is having" is the present continuous. Your sentence doesn't refer to the present so the present continuous is inappropriate.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I find Gaya's English used in communicating with other forummers quite different from that used in his synopses of movies. I wonder if he wrote the synopses himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.