Thread: English accent

Sasha Guest

Default English accent

Hi
    I wonder if there are any courses specifically targeted on improving the pronunciations. What would the best thing to do im my case: taking a private lessons, using self teaching (software, CDs and etc) or going to a language school. Again, all Iím interested in is improving my accent.
    Many thanks
    Sasha

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English accent

Try here for sites and courses: http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Listening/index.html. However, unless you have a very good ear for the target accent, I'd recommend working with a speaker of the variety of English you wish to speak.

PS I am moving the thread into the Pronunciation area.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: English accent

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha
    Hi
    I wonder if there are any courses specifically targeted on improving the pronunciations. What would the best thing to do im my case: taking a private lessons, using self teaching (software, CDs and etc) or going to a language school. Again, all I’m interested in is improving my accent.
    Many thanks
    Sasha
    I agree with Tdol that UNLESS you've a fantastic listening skill (that's NOT just being able to "understand" the English spoken on TV), the best way to learn any accent, be it be American or British or whatever, you've to get yourself aware of the phonetic transcription of sounds used within the desired accent.

If not, regardless of whatever you hear, the sound heard would be perceived by your ears bearing in mind your own "native" language's sound & you'll continue to produce that sound the way you do in your "native" language.

Let me know your native language & the accent that you wish to train yourself in. I may be able to point you in the right direction, since I'm a keen Linguistic & feel comfortable in teaching Neutral/Standard/RP British accent.