aliaa Guest

cosenant cluster

Hi, everybody We the Arab learners of English face a very serious propblem which is : consenant cluster , In Arabic there is no sequence of more than 2 cosenants, I don't know how to overcome this problem. e.g : the word ( sprit) the Arab learners have to add ( e) at the beginning to facilitate the pronunciation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cosenant cluster

Quote Originally Posted by aliaa
    Hi, everybody We the Arab learners of English face a very serious propblem which is : consenant cluster , In Arabic there is no sequence of more than 2 cosenants, I don't know how to overcome this problem. e.g : the word ( sprit) the Arab learners have to add ( e) at the beginning to facilitate the pronunciation.
    Take it one step at a time. What makes you say we? You are an indiviudal?Get to know your so called enemy the consonant. Do not fight it, embrace it. See where it takes a word, a pronounciation, an interpretation. Quit thinking in your native language. Block itout. You cannot change English and it is part of daily life throughout the world.
    I do not understand what you mean by your quote. Please explain. thank you. Sprit is a coloquial term in German for gasoline or alcohol.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a list of the clusters that cause difficulty and get in front of a mirror and practice. Start with the vowel sound, and then try to make it shorter and eventually remove it.

aliaa Guest

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
    twostep
    what I wanted to say is that in the Arabic language there is no sequence of more than 2 consonants, we're not used to pronouncing more than 2, in English you can find 3 , 4 or even five consonant without a vowel in between, this is our problem I'm not talking about myself in particular, this is a global problem which the Arabs face in learning English , that's why I wrote WE