[General] What is tone of writing "Hope you are keeping fine." ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baidyas

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear All,
I find this interesting and informative forum recently on web. I would like to use this forum to clear my ideas regarding english language. Recently I find an email starting with "Hope you are keeping fine." I never used this line at the start of an email. I would like to know about the tone of voice of such line if I use with others in an email.

Thanks in advance,

baidyas

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use it in any work email. I could use it in an email to a friend. It sounds too informal to me for work. (British English speaker)

baidyas

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I wouldn't use it in any work email. I could use it in an email to a friend. It sounds too informal to me for work. (British English speaker)

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually there are many such sentences used by us unknowingly at many places unsuitable sometimes.

Thanks again.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I see it in auto-emails, and don't object to it, but I wouldn't use it in a work email I was writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,
I [STRIKE]find[/STRIKE] found this interesting and informative forum recently on the web. I would like to use this forum to clear my ideas regarding the English language. Recently, I [STRIKE]find[/STRIKE] found an email starting with "Hope you are keeping fine." I have never used this line at the start of an email. I would like to know about the tone of voice of such a line if I use it with others in an email.

Thanks in advance,

baidyas

Note my amendments to your post above, marked in red. Like the others, I would not open a business email with such a line unless the person I was writing to was a friend and a business colleague and, even then, only if the email was intended solely for that person's eyes and wouldn't be passed on to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.