Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When the game ends, spectators come tumbling off the wall, stream down the terraces, and run across the football pitch..
② They suddenly realize that the players are all around, and embrace them in expanding, mutating knots of scarves and bodies, hands
grabbing at their shirt and boots. ③ Among those still running, some collide, link with others, embrace, break away, tumble to the floor in heaps, join arms and dance.

④ The perplexed Portuguese stewards in their white caps, astonished, beaming local boys, white-gloved police and dozens of photographers ―all are caught up in the mix and swirled among them.

What kind of person is "steward" in a football game?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Look at definition #3, here.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like these guys in yellow:

images

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Please change the link to "... .com", Piscean.
:)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for your advice, Piscean. Actually I''m very detailed-oriented and careful, so I always look up dictionary to find the meaning of a confusing word. But when it doesn't work out, this is a verification process to finalize the meaning.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In this case, I had already seen the definition of "steward" in a dicitonary, but I couldn't comprehend it well as I have never seen it in Korea.
So pictures and explanations help to understand it better even though these are indirect experiences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Korea, do you not have people who help to control the crowds or assist with seating or parking at sporting events or concerts?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The dictionary definition in Korean for "steward" is what I heard for the first time in my life. There would be someone similar to that in Korea, but they are not that common in stadium, I think some police officers replace the position or in-stadium broadcasting is all they have.
Oh, you can see similar people in the Seoul subway. who are called "push man" in rush hour. They push passengers inside the train to reduce congestion.
You should understand that due to different cultures, what you may have , we may not, and vice versa. and that's why I sometimes need to learn such words here through indirect experience.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that there are, of course, differences between cultures. I was just surprised that none of the definitions you found for steward might have made you think of the people you mention who are sometimes replaced by police officers at stadia.

Status
Not open for further replies.