Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
It's the same old topic....so sorry! I'm thinking about the difference between the following sentences:

1a) I am open to meet new people and make new friends.
1b) I am open to meeting new people and making new friends.

(1a) - Is this sentence incorrect because gerunds are not used?
(1b) - ....open to meeting new people and making new friends. I understand that gerunds function as nouns. However, I am having difficulty in understanding how the 'to' before meeting is a preposition; how meeting is a noun.

So sorry that it's about gerunds again....

Thank you for your patience. I want to master this. Thank you for teaching me further on it.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I hesitate to say that 1a) is incorrect. It is comprehensible, but somewhat unnatural. 1b) is better. It is what a native speaker would prefer and use instead of 1a).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am having difficulty in understanding how the 'to' before meeting is a preposition; how meeting is a noun.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Oceanlike:

I have found some information on the Web that may interest you. I do NOT know how accurate the netizen's information is.

1. The netizen says that "open to" is an idiom.

a. "To" is a preposition.

2. The netizen gives sentences similar to these.

a. "The boss is open to the discussion of wages."
b. "The boss is open to discussing wages."

3. The netizen says that using an infinitive can be confusing, grammatically speaking.

a. "I am open to discuss X." (Is the "to" the infinitive marker?)
b. "I am open to discussing X." (In such a sentence, "to" is clearly a preposition.)

4. You have a question about the gerund "meeting." (The following is only my ideas.)

a. You already know that a gerund is both a noun and a verb.

i. I like eating ice cream.

a. "Eating" is a noun. Compare with an ordinary noun: "I like the consumption of ice cream."

b. "Eating" comes from the verb "eat." In "I eat ice cream," the object is "ice cream." Therefore, "ice cream" is also an object in "I like eating ice cream."

Credit for the information in sentences 1 - 3 goes to a netizen called "Stoney B" who posts at the grammar helpline Stack Exchange. To read the netizen's article, google: Open to discuss(ing)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gerunds take direct objects and they are not verbs.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Mike if he means "finite verbs" when he says "verbs".
:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mike does mean that. It is a simpler system to understand.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You quoted a small list of people in the grammar field. By contrast I referred you to thousands of other sources on the Internet. We are all entitled to our opinions. Your "experts" can believe what they believe but they cannot turn a gerund or participle into a verb. One cannot form a complete sentence using only one of them. And they cannot take a subject. By definition, a sentence has a subject and a verb. That has not changed.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have accepted "verb forms", whatever that means. But they are not verbs.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The verb there is "am working", not "am" or "working".

"Am" is a verb because it can function alone as a verb in a sentence; "working cannot".

I am home. :tick:
I working now. :cross:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mike, in other threads I have quoted from two of the leading grammars of the last thirty years, A Comprehensive grammar of the English Language and The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language words supporting my belief that gerunds are as much verbs, or verb-forms, as the third person present singular form of the verb. I have named a dozen leading grammarians who say similar things. I have since looked through several dozen books on grammar published between 1586 and 2012, and found none that say that the gerund is not a verb(-form). I trust these books, many of which are cited in hundreds of others, more than I trust websites run by unknown people.

However, I am sure you will have a crusty old grammar or two referring to them as noun-verbs. I do. I agree that they are verb forms, but they are verbal cross-dressers some of the time.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, we do no learners a service by describing verbals as verbs. It is too confusing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I expect the OP is losing the will to live if he is still trying to follow this discussion.

Perhaps one more exchange from each of you will suffice to conclude this thread.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As far as I am concerned, you can close the thread. We will never agree.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes that one had me confused also.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I expect the OP is losing the will to live if he is still trying to follow this discussion.

:roll: heehee initially, the OP did try to follow and understand the serious discussion. And SHE soon realised that she did not understand anything that was being exchanged....eventually she had to stop trying because her mind felt like it was "seeing" stars :-D

I feel like a small child in the big big world of the English language! Indeed, the profound (at least to me) discourse serves to remind me that I have so much more to learn, and I appreciate this platform where I can learn from many experienced teachers/contributors.

Blessings everyone, peace be with you ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.